Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, you certainly did.
    http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
    1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
      No mention of a rewire job in this thread at all.
      He mentioned it in post #4 and I quoted it in my first reply.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ya, sorry but was skimming through this and other posts he made so I missed that since it hadn't been posted yet. By the time I got back to respond it was posted but not on my screen since I hadn't refreshed.

Usually when wires are messed with and a new problem arises they're related.
        http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
        1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by nathanmaus View Post
          Check post #4 I went into the history there. Carbs were cleaned probably 2 months ago so I may need to take those out and clean them again. This problem just started happening yesterday. When I bought this bike it didn't have a choke actually, but I've never ran into this issue.
          How were they cleaned? Stripped and dipped? New orings, boots?
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

They were stripped and dipped, new orings, but no new boots.

I didn't get to look at the bike yesterday so hopefully today, but with the new wiring it worked after I rewired it then all of a sudden it wouldn't turn over and no sound comes from the bike when I push the starter button. Is there a fuse I could have blown? I'm at work so I can't go out and check this right now.

Comment

Alright I narrowed it down to a wiring issue with the new starter switch and kill switch. Here are a few photos that hopefully can help. Now it take me a little bit to understand electrical stuff but I'm trying to learn so play nice . I've tried a bunch of different ways to wire it and can't get it to work properly.

From left to right on the original wiring: Orange/White, Orange/White, Yellow/Green

Here is a picture of the rocker switch and starter switch

When I touch the green wire to the bullet connector the bike acts like you have the kill switch on and are trying to start it. That's the only time I get anything from the bike. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Alright, I figured out that my starter switch was faulty so I got a new one and that is wired correctly now. I just dipped my carbs and replaced the o-rings. I installed the new SH775 RR. Does anyone have a link to a step by step thread on this install so I can double check my work? Idle is set correctly.

So the outcome is the same. I can hold the starter switch and it will run fine... as soon as I let go of the switch the bike dies. Any input would be great. I'm going to go over the charging system again tomorrow to see if I missed anything the first time. Bad stator maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by nathanmaus View Post
                  Does anyone have a link to a step by step thread on this install so I can double check my work?

Comment

How would you like the right side controls from a 80 gs 1000?

V
                    Gustov
                    80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                    81 GS 1000 G
                    79 GS 850 G
                    81 GS 850 L
                    83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                    80 GS 550 L
                    86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                    2002 Honda 919
                    2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Check to see if you have the recommended spark plugs, I just had the same problem and I found after changing from the D9EAs to the D8EAs the problem stopped

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff G View Post
                        Check to see if you have the recommended spark plugs, I just had the same problem and I found after changing from the D9EAs to the D8EAs the problem stopped
                        Somehow, that just does not compute.

Changing heat range on a spark plug will not kill the bike in five seconds.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Thanks everyone, I got it running now! It happened to be the wiring after all. I went back and traced my steps again and wired up the original controls. Since that fixed my problem I just had to look at the new starter and kill switch. You guys are always a great help when I'm stuck on some electrical problem.

Comment

Thanks for the report.

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                            X