Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Side Stand Switch in the Start/Run Circuit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the Side Stand Switch in the Start/Run Circuit?

So, that's the question...

Is the side stand switch on these old girls in the start/run circuit? That is, if the side stand is not up and the indicator light not off can that prevent the bike from starting/running?

Or does the side stand switch and indicator light only just tell you whether the side stand is up or not, and the bike will start and run just fine with the side stand down?

Mine in particular is an '83 GS650GL.

Thanks for any help.

On most GS's the side stand switch only operates a warning lamp in the dash. When side stand down, the switch grounds providing current flow through the warning lamp. There is no safety interlock although there are threads on various implementations for that.

Comment

Side Stand

I always started my "T" with the side-stand down and in neutral; never tried it while sitting on the bike and the side-stand up. I'm interested in the response to your question.

Ed

EDIT: My gixxer was the same way...always started it parked/neutral/side-stand down. There was one time I tried to start it sitting on the bike and stand up and it wouldn't start.
      Last edited by GSXR7ED; 12-14-2014, 05:28 PM.
      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

Yes, on some bike,the stand needs to be up to crank. Designed to prevent you from cranking standing along side and the bike being in gear..bet you can imagine what happens next. Also the reasoning behind the clutch safety switch. Try it on yours and see.
        Last edited by chuck hahn; 12-14-2014, 05:33 PM.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

You can however start it and then set the bike on the side stand before shutting off the key ( bike in neutral ). Reasoning being that if your on the bike and its been running your not gonna tip it off the stand like before.

You cant put it down with it in gear though..it will stall the engine.

I got on the 77 750 once, side stand down, turned on the key and didnt look at the neutral light. Legs on the ground in front of the pegs and hit the button....learched forward and almost snapped an ankle and dropped the bike. No side stand or clutch switch on that bike and you can bet I look at the dash first thing I turn on the key on any of my bikes now!!
          Last edited by chuck hahn; 12-14-2014, 05:36 PM.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I got no stinking side stand switch or clutch safety switch either. My son's ninja had a ridiculous regimen of "safety" interlocks .... Here's some light reading to expand the gene pool
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

WM71,

No, pretty much like others have said.
              No, side stand switch is not in the starter button circuit.
              Sidestand light switch is in the circuit for the sidestand light only (the switch "completes the ground" to light the light).

The clutch switch IS in the starter button circuit. On the schematic is called "Interlock". And that clutch switch is the only thing in the circuit, well, that and the kill switch and the starter button.

If you are trying to trouble shoot the starter button circuit to the solenoid, don't overlook the ground to the soleneoid. THe solenoid is grounded to the batterybox, but the battery box may not be well grounded. Is more to say about that, but do not know if you are concerned about that.

Last edited by Redman; 12-14-2014, 05:46 PM. Reason: typos
              http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
              Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Working...
              X