78 GS1000 wiring. Need help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 GS1000 wiring. Need help.

Need a little help with my wiring. The existing wiring was a mess. I picked up a brand new wiring harness (thanks Chuck) and I'm trying to get her together. Anyway the 3 wires, white/blue, yellow, and green/white are coming from my engine/alternator. I believe all three go to the rectifier? You can see the yellow and white blue wires that go to the rectifier but I don't see a green white wire on my rectifier, just the red and white/red that I've connected. Also the blue wire looks like it's my neutral. I'm guessing this goes directly into the main harness. Any help would be appreciated.

Stator Blue/White goes to R/R Blue/White

Stator Yellow goes to R/R yellow

Stator Green/White goes to R/R Red/White
    Leave the Red/White wire going to the main harness disconnected. The OEM configuration loops the wire through the headlight bucket and back as a different color. OEM stator output wire is Green/White and then returns from the headlight bucket as Red/White.

Or... Any of the three stator wires can go to the any three R/R wires I just mentioned above. The order is not important as each of the stator outputs are the same. You simply need to connect each wire to the R/R input wires.
    Last edited by JTGS850GL; 01-03-2015, 06:27 PM.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Like he said..doesmt matter what one from the stator plugs to what wire to the rectifier..3 is 3. Now if you had a 5 wire from the stator youd notice two doubles. In that case you just use the yellow and any of the other two off different color. Simply tuck away the other two doubles and thats that.

Glad I had the right harness for you.
      Last edited by chuck hahn; 01-03-2015, 06:59 PM.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Hi,

Do these links help?

Stator Replacement (PDF file)

Regulator/Rectifier Replacement (PDF file)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
        X