Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Regulator rectifier wiring, were do these wires hook up!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regulator rectifier wiring, were do these wires hook up!!!

So i took my electrical apart to clean up. Now im looking at my wiring diagram for my 1982 GS 750t, and it does not show the rectifier wiring in an intuitive way.

Basically i have a 5 posts sticking out with one being isolated off to the side a bit... kind like this with the units prongs facing downward

i think the ground (black) is [1], but that is all i figure....

---------------------------------
    l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l
    l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l
    ---[1]-----[2]--[3]--[4]--[5]--

this is just a stock pic, but very similar to what i got.

Anyone know where my other wires connect,

Red
    Red and White
    Yellow
    White and blue

Thanx Everyone...and yes i know i should upgrade.... but i would like to test this system before i do that....

As far as suzuki wiring is concerned, download this diagram from Basscliff for better understanding.

That r/r is a joke, too small - sure test with it but dispose of it ASAP!
    I might have a similar one in my junk bin, with wires still attached. I will attempt to find......
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I also believe that the lone terminal (#1) is a ground. #2 is your +12 volt output, 3, 4 and 5 are your stator inputs.

Now, do yourself (and your bike) a couple of favors:
      1. Disregard the stock wiring. Connect the three stator wires directly to the R/R inputs. You will find that the stock configuration takes one of the wires (white/green?) into the main harness, then brings a white/red wire back to the R/R. That is a useless loop that is just begging for problems, so bypass it, just connect the three stator wires directly to the R/R.
      2. Get a Polaris R/R. There are a few threads on it, so a search is easy. Look for "series R/R" or "SH775" and you will find plenty of info. I started a thread a year or so ago (maybe longer) that showed how to install one on a 1000G and also gave a list of vendors and prices. I think the current price is around $80, shipped. The advantage of the Polaris R/R is that it is a series-type, rather than the stock shunt-type, which will save your stator from overworking itself to death.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

No can find. Steve's likely got connections oriented correctly, but many r/r's sandwiched the positive output between two stator inputs so beware!
        here's Steve's old thread on the SH-775

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

You can also read about GS_stator in my signature about why to use the Series R/R (SH775 or equiv)

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
            here's Steve's old thread on the SH-775

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...89#post1998089
            Thanks, Tom.

Click HERE for my thread with the vendors and prices as of November, 2014.

Last edited by Steve; 02-19-2015, 05:33 PM.
            sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

thank you everyone.. i defiantly just got schooled!!!! ha and confused, and then some understanding.....

like my one geology teacher always says, " There is always chaos before understanding".

Comment

Originally posted by LunArBasalt View Post
                i defiantly just got schooled!!!!
                Too bad about the "defiant" part, but maybe you are just trying to say that you learned something?

We are just here to teach.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Too bad about the "defiant" part, but maybe you are just trying to say that you learned something?

We are just here to teach.

that is what im trying to say...but...iv noticed the smarter i get the poorer i get...

Comment

Don't be afraid to ask questions here. We are (collectively) just a bunch of "know-it-alls" that don't mind sharing what we know.

Many of us can also give you the "why" to do something a particular way or get a particular part, others will just say "you need to do this". Yeah, it's the right thing to do, but some of us like to know the story behind the directive.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

hi everybody, new to the site. prior to finding this site i had ordered some cheap generic r/r for my bike. it came in the other day and, like the op, had a question as to the order. i have 3 yellow wires, one red and one black by itself. looking at the diagram i figure the 3 yellow are stator, red +12v out and black is ground? thanks in advance!!! gonna be lurking this site for a while im thinking :-) ps its an '83 gs1100gl

Comment

Welcome, considering putting your bike/model/year/location in your signature just in case . Sounds like you noticed stuff about r/r's. Consider doing a quick test to get handle on your charging system- this is for starters,

1981 gs650L

Comment

Working...
                        X