1982 GS850 Harness Question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS850 Harness Question.

I hate to make this my first post but after searching, I can't really find something that definitively answers the question I have.

I have a 1982 GS850 and the harness has been burnt at some point. I've found a couple of harnesses online for '80 and '81 model bikes and I was wondering if they fit the newer one. I don't know why they wouldn't but the question is still nags.

I got the bike in December of last year and it runs. Doesn't charge well but I can fix that. I need to get a new batt and make sure my wiring is in good order before I go the standard route and condemn the charging system components, themselves.

This is my first bike, guys. Looking to make some good memories.

A few things moved locations and there is the addition of the sidestand switch, but most of the harness will work just fine.

I have had an '80 and '81 850G, as well as my wife's '82 850GL, so I can't really say which parts moved do to the year change and which moved because my only example of an '82 is an L. The items that moved are all around the battery box, so if you do have to extend a wire, it won't be much. The biggest difference would be the lack of the sidestand switch wiring, but there is no interlock involved, it just turns on a light in the instrument panel when the stand is down.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      A few things moved locations and there is the addition of the sidestand switch, but most of the harness will work just fine.

I have had an '80 and '81 850G, as well as my wife's '82 850GL, so I can't really say which parts moved do to the year change and which moved because my only example of an '82 is an L. The items that moved are all around the battery box, so if you do have to extend a wire, it won't be much. The biggest difference would be the lack of the sidestand switch wiring, but there is no interlock involved, it just turns on a light in the instrument panel when the stand is down.

Good to know. I have plenty of tools for doing wiring and I'm not terrible at it. I should be able to figure it out. Only other issue would be finding a diagram for the '82. I have one I saved for an '80 GT/GLT but I don't know how closely that applies. Also, how do I tell what model mine is? I know it's an 850 but I have no clue if it's an L, G, GL or what.
      Last edited by Guest; 03-04-2015, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by VillageIdiot View Post
        Good to know. I have plenty of tools for doing wiring and I'm not terrible at it. I should be able to figure it out. Only other issue would be finding a diagram for the '82. I have one I saved for an '80 GT/GLT but I don't know who closely that applies. Also, how do I tell what model mine is? I know it's an 850 but I have no clue if it's an L, G, GL or what.
        I looked back through your few posts and saw that you posted this picture of your bike:

That would be an 850GL. If you had the emblem on the side cover, it would only say 850L, though. All 850s were shaft-driven, hence the "G", you have the "low-slung" model with the chrome fenders, leading-axle fork, smaller gas tank and stepped seat. It appears that someone has spared you the curse of the buckhorn handlebars, you need to thank them profusely.

Depending on which version of the wiring diagram you have, it is close enough for most electrical work. As mentioned previously, the only major change was the addition of the side stand switch to turn on a light. The wiring diagram does not show you exactly where things are mounted, so there needs to be a little bit of interpretation when you read one anyway.

EDIT: just took another look at your picture. Apparently you have an airbox from an '80'81 850G or an '80 850GL. It will work, but does not match up to the side covers quite so nicely. You can click on the link in my sig for my wife's bike to see what it should look like.

Last edited by Steve; 03-04-2015, 10:55 AM.
        sigpic
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Looks like Steve beat me to the reply.

The model definitely looks like an L model.

(The models would have been either G for a flat seat classic look or L for yours. The T letter would have designated the year code. -- check the URL http://www.cyclepedia.com/yamaha-mot...dentification/ which has a list of year letters for yamaha and suzuki)

for example, my 1979 850g is in model year N so sometimes is referred to as 1979 suzuki GS850GN

Comment

Yesss! Links are good. Thanks for the identification help, guys. So I think I'm gonna hold out and see if I can find an '82 harness and diagram. If not, I'll get my crimpers, picks and terminal tools and get to work. The rest of the questions I have haven't been searched yet and belong in the Carb section, anyways.

Steve - Looking at the pics of your wife's bike (much envy on the beautiful paint, btw), I see the difference in the 2 airboxes. Not that big of a difference to me but I'll take care of it down the line, none the less. I'm probably gonna just primer the whole bike. It is the first one for me, after all. You know what they say about the 2 different kinds of riders. The bars were a huge selling point for me when I went looking for a bike. I had found a couple of 650s with the more cruiser looking bars and I didn't like them. These will be fine for me with a new set of grips on them (the ones on them now are falling apart).

EDIT: You can tell I didn't search that model question at all or I would have found this: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...rmine-submodel
            Last edited by Guest; 03-04-2015, 12:19 PM.

Comment

I hate to necro a dead thread but it's better than starting a new one, I think. I don't have much time to search this one out so any links would be great. Do you guys know where I can find out what bikes have parts compatible with mine? I believe my engine is based on the 750 and I was wondering if a 750 harness would also be an option if I can't get an 850 one, soon.

Comment

Hey VI. I'm not sure that you will find another model that has a harness that is completely compatible with your 850GL. From what I've seen looking over my manual is that each bike model has some differences. I went through this same process on my 82 GS850GL. I tried to find a harness to no avail. I finally broke down and decided to restore my harness.

You can find that process somewhere around this page (depending on how you have your thread view set up): http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...re-we-go/page5

I decided that I wanted to repair my harness using the stock color wires and to add a few extra circuits for future use. It can be tedious, but once you spend some time on it, it isn't that hard. You just need a good color manual/diagram and a source for connectors and wire.

I used Rhode Island Wire Service to order my stock color wire. They are a GREAT company to work with. http://www.riwire.com/ I sourced my connectors from my local electrical supply store. I went through the harness and located any hard spots in wiring and either soldiered in new wire or replaced the circuit. Like I said, tedious, but totally worth it. I now have my original harness that is now better than new.

Good luck on your bike!

Comment

New connectors are also available at Vintage Connections.
                  There are "kits" available, but you might do better by clicking on the "PRICES" tab and ordering individual connectors.

Be sure to get their RTL crimpers. (Click the "TOOLS" tab.)
                  They may seem a bit expensive at $35, but they are worth every penny.
                  By the way, they are about half the price of many similar units, and do the same job.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

Bass Cliff has a harness resto/refurb tutorial on his page somewhere. I'll see what I can find.

Here ya go, VI...check this stuff out. Bass Cliff's page is awesome! Also links to various wiring diagrams, as well.

Last edited by Cassius086; 04-21-2015, 10:24 AM.
                    Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that! :)

Comment

Thanks for the info, folks. I think I'm probably gonna have to call Oz Powersports if I want a factory harness and they're pretty expensive from what I hear. I'll probably get something close enough and modify it. I don't need a kickstand indicator.

Comment

Working...
                      X