1981 GS850 install a SH775BA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS850 install a SH775BA

Okay so I hope this isn't a dumb question but I couldn't see it addressed in a previous post.

The wiring diagram in my manual only shows 2 wires coming from the stator to the R/R (so it shows 2 wires in and 2 wires out) but there's three stator wires on the Shindengen. I haven't dug into the wiring on the bike yet, but is there anything I should know about before I go fishing in there?

There are three wires from the stator, but only two of them go directly to the R/R. The third one does the useless trip up to the connector under the tank. General wisdom is to bypass that useless loop and run all three stator wires directly to the R/R.

I have installed one on my '80 850. It fits in the stock location under the battery box, but I had to bend the mounts on the bottom of the box a bit to give some clearance, because I mounted an Eastern Beaver fuse box, too.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      There are three wires from the stator, but only two of them go directly to the R/R. The third one does the useless trip up to the connector under the tank. General wisdom is to bypass that useless loop and run all three stator wires directly to the R/R.
      Thanks that's just what I needed to tie together the info from the other posts here!

Comment

sorry to hijack your thread.............but a quick question......

Steve..........whats the nice shiny box to the left of your new fusebox?.........is that where the ignite normally resides?

sorry Wozza

regards
        rik

Comment

Not only is that where the ignitor normally resides, that IS the ignitor.

I was in the process of cleaning up the area, had most of the parts on the bench. Was using come carb cleaner to clean some parts and some overspray hit the ignitor's label, basically obliterating it. I figured "if you can't read the label, why bother having it?" In the process of removing the label, some of the paint came off because it was softened by the carb cleaner. One thing led to another, and my ignitor eventually found its way dangerously close to my buffing wheel.

Yeah, it's going to be under a cover and seldom seen, but I am somewhat known for polishing up things that are seldom seen.

Did you happen to also notice the nice shiny solenoid above the ignitor?

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

ha ha ha...............and there was me thinking you had some sort of new whizbang module that I hadn't heard of..............that and the solenoid look very cool.

thanks steve

Comment

Yeah, I get carried away at times.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride

Comment

Your Starter solenoid clearly isn't up to the standards of the rest of "under the left side cover" components.

Your bikes are so great looking.
                sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Yes they are! Steve is the new garage complete?
                  ----------------------------------------------------------------
                  2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Originally posted by mikerophone View Post
                    Yes they are! Steve is the new garage complete?
                    Thanks, and not quite.

The upstairs is pretty much done. #2 son has moved in for the week he is home for his brother's wedding.

I am off for the next couple of days, my son and a brother-in-law that is coming in for the weekend will be doing some work on the main level, then next week I need to get the ceiling panels ready so Dogma has something to do when he shows up on the 21st.

It is definitely slower, now that my helper (#2 son) has gone back to work, but I am plugging away, doing something every night when I get home from my paying job. Can't really move the bikes in until the mud pit between the main driveway and the shop either dries up or freezes over again. The mud pit also makes it difficult doing things like bringing in 20-30 sheets of 4x8 panelling.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                    X