1980 GS850 dies when hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS850 dies when hot

My 1980 GS850 recently developed an issue where it stalls out but runs perfectly otherwise. The first time was when the bike was restarted after a 25 mile freeway jaunt. It ran fine until it suddenly lost power and wouldnt restart until a few minutes later. The second time was at a stop light after riding for 15 minutes or so. third time the bike sat again for about 10 minutes after a 20 minute ride. The bike restarts every time after letting it sit for a few minutes. I pulled the gas cap to see perhaps it was venting the gas tank but it made no difference. starter always cranks the bike over so I doubt its an issue with the kill switch. Ignitor perhaps?

Thanks
    Matt
    1978 Suzuki GS750

Past bikes owned:
    1978 Suzuki GS750E, 1979 Suzuki GS750E, 1980 Suzuki GS850, 1977 Suzuki GS550, 1969 Honda CB350, 1976 Harley Davidson SS175, 1979 Motobecane 50V, 1978 Puch Maxi, 1977 Puch Newport, 1980 Tomos Bullet, 1978 Motobecane 50VLA, 1978 AMF Roadmaster

Best advice I can give you is to verify no spark when it wont restart. Sounds like the problem is reproducible so that makes it a little easier to narrow down. If you have spark but no fire then that will point you in another direction.
    http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
    1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

What maintenance have you done?
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        What maintenance have you done?
        Engine had top end refresh about 1500 miles ago which consisted of new rings, cylinder hone and a valve job. I have checked the valve clearances twice since then and changed the oil 3 times. new plugs 500 miles in. 140 PSI of compression across the board as of two days ago. The regulator/rectifier and stator was switched with a caltric units close to a year ago.

Matt
        1978 Suzuki GS750

Past bikes owned:
        1978 Suzuki GS750E, 1979 Suzuki GS750E, 1980 Suzuki GS850, 1977 Suzuki GS550, 1969 Honda CB350, 1976 Harley Davidson SS175, 1979 Motobecane 50V, 1978 Puch Maxi, 1977 Puch Newport, 1980 Tomos Bullet, 1978 Motobecane 50VLA, 1978 AMF Roadmaster

Comment

Sounds like your coils are going bad they tend to stop working when they get hot
          My stable
          84 GSX1100EFG-10.62 @ 125 mph 64'' W/B.
          85 GS1150-9.72@146mph stock W/B.
          88 GSXR1100-dragbike 9.18@139.92mph/5.68@118mph.
          98 Bandit 1200-9.38@146mph/6.02@121mph.
          90 Suzuki GS 1425cc FBG Pro Stock chassis 5.42@124mph
          06 GSXR750 10.44@135mph
          00 Honda elite 80 pit bike

Comment

Originally posted by stetracer View Post
            Sounds like your coils are going bad they tend to stop working when they get hot
            I was thinking that but the engine doesn't fire at all when it stalls out. from what I understand the bike will run (albeit extremely roughly) on two cylinders if one of the coils fails. The bike doesn't fire at all when it's doing its thing. Is it possible that both coils are failing?
            1978 Suzuki GS750

Past bikes owned:

Comment

Without other symptoms.
              In all truth it could be many things.
              Probably not the problem.
              Still a possibility.
              Great maintenance that you should be doing anyways.

I would check for heat damage throughout harness mostly at connections.
              Do not forget the mess inside headlight bucket.
              You could simplify by concentrating on ignition system wiring.

On a GS you will find many things needing addressed.

Chances are you will find some areas with damage from previous problems.

Even a loose connection in the wiring slowly heating up.

Fuse holder heating up with current spark jump.
              If you are using the glass fuses then a great chance of this being a problem.

Clean, replace, repair.
              Mark these areas with colored tape, zip tie, or possibly a wrapped wire bag clincher.

If the problem persists check the areas marked for heat as soon as you can before they have a chance to cool down.

If you find nothing then move on to any other ideas put forth here.

Keep us posted.

Comment

Originally posted by mattd1205 View Post
                I was thinking that but the engine doesn't fire at all when it stalls out. from what I understand the bike will run (albeit extremely roughly) on two cylinders if one of the coils fails. The bike doesn't fire at all when it's doing its thing. Is it possible that both coils are failing?
                Both coils failing is unlikely, but trigger signal from signal coils or ignitor itself could be messed up causing neither coil to fire.The ignitor is fed by same orange/white wire that leaves kill switch and connects to ignition coils. You need to determine if this still has 12 volt positive during a no start condition,
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Does the starter spin just fine when it is stalled? I think that is what you meant.

If so, would agree that you likely have an ignition problem, and that it is likely upstream of the coils if so. If you have the "coil relay mod", I would look there. That is a common result of that common band-aid. Beyond that, I would change out the ignition module next. I think I've got one in my garage in Maine, but I won't be there for a pretty good while. I have had failure modes with coils, condensers, Fuel Injection ECUs, and relays which only manifested themselves after 30 minuets to an hour of use. Who knows. Maybe its a fuse going bad. Change them all. (I have found that if one goes, the others will later).

You might also bring a volt meter with you and test when it isn't working. You may consider pulling the tank and letting it run with a fan on in the driveway to see if it can fail without stranding you.

Good luck.
                  Last edited by 850 Combat; 03-17-2015, 01:51 PM.
                  sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Like I said above... If you can reproduce the failure mode then do it and then troubleshoot why you have no spark. That's assuming that you even have a spark issue. Can't fix it when it's not broke. With that said, you might want to start by boing through all the connectors from Signal generator -> Igniter -> Coils and verify good voltage on the orange/white wire. Could be so many things that you'd be shot gunning parts for quite some time before you stumble onto what's causing the problem. Quite expensive to do it that way as well. Be thankful that you don't have an intermittent problem that can't be reproduced. Those will drive you nuts!!!
                    http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                    1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                      Like I said above... If you can reproduce the failure mode then do it and then troubleshoot why you have no spark. That's assuming that you even have a spark issue. Can't fix it when it's not broke. With that said, you might want to start by boing through all the connectors from Signal generator -> Igniter -> Coils and verify good voltage on the orange/white wire. Could be so many things that you'd be shot gunning parts for quite some time before you stumble onto what's causing the problem. Quite expensive to do it that way as well. Be thankful that you don't have an intermittent problem that can't be reproduced. Those will drive you nuts!!!
                      Ok, I finally got time to work on the bike today. I replaced the ignitor and same issue. Ran ok until parked for an hour, restarted and it died a few hundred feet later. I pulled the boots for cylinders two and four, held them close to the engine and verified there wasn't any spark on any of the cylinders. I'm gonna break out the multimeter and start ruling stuff out
                      1978 Suzuki GS750

Past bikes owned:

Comment

When I first got my bike I made two mistakes that resulted in the same symptoms. I used the wrong type of fuel line and put a fuel filter in the line. When the bike got hot, the fuel line would soften up and kink shutting off all fuel flow.
                        http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

[QUOTE=mattd1205;2175553].....verified there wasn't any spark on any of the cylinders. I'm gonna break out the multimeter and start ruling stuff out[/QUOTE

Check the signal generator.
                          That would be my suspect of what kills all spark after the engine warms up. (especially since you have swappwed the ignoitor).

Wheerever you got the igniter as a test, can you get the signal generator too?

You have a manual that shows the signal generator test? THe check is an ohm test.
                          And ther is a way to disconnect the signal generator, and simulate for it as a test of the remaining entire ignition system.

Last edited by Redman; 04-23-2015, 05:58 PM.
                          http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                          Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Working...
                          X