No announcement yet.

Cleaning my grounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do it similarly. One ground from the rear of the transmission to the - battery post. One ground from the -R/R to the same battery post and one ground from the common harness return junction (black/white wire) to the - battery post. The large gauge wire has it's own lug while the other two are combined into one lug. Both are screwed onto the battery terminal. This basically makes the - battery post the single ground point. Has provided measurable regulation improvement as well.
    http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
    1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I had everything on the battery negative but it was starting to look like a Christmas tree as I have a hardwired battery tender as well. I moved the frame and r/r grounds to a post on the solenoid case with an extra wire back up to the battery.
      97 R1100R
      Previous
      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
        I had everything on the battery negative but it was starting to look like a Christmas tree as I have a hardwired battery tender as well. I moved the frame and r/r grounds to a post on the solenoid case with an extra wire back up to the battery.
        Yes the Christmas tree effect. Contrary to popular folklore the battery (-) post is not the lowest potential point in the charging system and should not be the location of the SPG. The SPG should be located as close as practical to R/R (-). If batt(-) is the closest location to your r/r, then I'll concede that single case. But cosmetically as well a to reduce the possibility of ground corrosion I would recommend keeping the SPG away from the battery. There should only be only two grounds and one positive cable to the battery. The starter cable return and a wire of any length from batt(-.) to SPG.

with the SSPB installs I have fabricated a SPG harness. It ties 3 wires for r/r(-),frame,batt(-) into a common soldered ring lug connection. It is bolted to a convenient location where it can be stacked with the harness B/w.

This is what my Battery looks like. Note the there are only two wires on the negative terminal of the battery. The green wire is the original battery fluid sensor wire. Now hardwired to the battery (+) through a resistor. The other B/W ground is as it originally came from the factory to pick up grounds for the ignitor or anything else mounted to the battery box.

Item #4 in the picture is the SPG Harness I speak of. It is the preferred configurations whether using SSPB or not.

A wiring sizing analysis for the SSPB is here, but the ground side applies equally as well to non SSPB configurations. I only use 14 gauge for short (less than 1 ft ) runs from SPG to R/R(-). The rest of the wires can be 16 ga (frame, battery grounds).

Last edited by posplayr; 03-23-2015, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
          Silly me. I didn't see "electrical," just saw the title, and thought this was a white trash post about junk cars and overgrown grass.
          I knew it wasn't me anyway. I'd never clean my grounds, I like the old cars too much.
          ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
          X