Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dash/lights/starter won't turn on, battery seems fine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dash/lights/starter won't turn on, battery seems fine.

Hey guys, new 79 GS550E owner here. The other day my bike shut off when I came to a stop at a stop light. It seems to be an electrical issue. I've been doing tons of reading on the mechanical side of things, but zero on electrical, so I'm a little out of my element here. I have a multimeter that reads the voltage on my battery at ~12.4 or 5 (not at home currently and can't remember the exact reading), so I believe my battery is fine? When I turn my key to the on position nothing happens. Dash, lights, when I try to turn the ignition, nada. So it would appear I have a fault somewhere directly after the battery, correct? I looked through a couple of BassCliff's electrical guides and he mentions a fault finding chart, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Any help? Something super obvious I'm overlooking?

BikeCliff's website also seems to have a wiring diagram for tons of different bikes, but a 79 GS550E doesn't appear to be on there. Is there another model that I can look at that is on there with the same wiring diagram?

Sorry for so many questions, I'm a new bike owner who is eager to learn and trying to take in as much as possible.

Have you checked your (one and only) fuse?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Mine seems to be missing! The PO seems to have wired it out of the circuit. I still have the box that it came in and plan to address this. For me it was a small translucent box on the starboard side with red wires and a spot for only one fuse.

Comment

Originally posted by GSCafe View Post
        Mine seems to be missing! The PO seems to have wired it out of the circuit. I still have the box that it came in and plan to address this. For me it was a small translucent box on the starboard side with red wires and a spot for only one fuse.
        If PO decided fuse was optional, be suspicious! This 425 diagram should be similar- shows how power flows from battery to fuse, etc
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I opened up my fuse box (I have four, not one) and looks like my 15 amp main fuse was blown. I won't be able to put a new one in until tonight to be positive but that should do the trick. So I just need to pick up a glass tube fuse that's labeled at 15 amps right? Any additional specs I need to make sure I'm buying the right fuse?
          Last edited by Guest; 03-24-2015, 10:15 AM.

Comment

To BBoh21..... You got 4 fuses ? Your wiring is likely like this 79 gs850 not like the gs425 pen

15 amp fuse at autozone, is fine Make sure you get a few- you might need them to determine your problem
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by BBoh21 View Post
              I opened up my fuse box (I have four, not one) ...
              You have four fuses?

You sure you have a '79?

What shape is your front master cylinder? Rectangular or round?
              Do you have VM carbs or BS carbs?
              Do you have points or electronic ignition?

I am betting that you have an '80 bike that was MADE in late '79 and some Bozo at the DMV office titled it as a '79.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                To BBoh21..... You got 4 fuses ? Your wiring is likely like this 79 gs850 not like the gs425 pen

Yep, not in front of my bike at the moment so this may be wrong but I had a 15 amp main fuse, then three 10 amp fuses for ignition, lights, and turn signals I believe. The diagram for the 850 you just posted looks more accurate than the 425, but I'm still working on figuring out how to read those diagrams.
                Last edited by Guest; 03-24-2015, 10:41 AM.

Comment

You have four fuses?

You sure you have a '79?

What shape is your front master cylinder? Rectangular or round?
                  Do you have VM carbs or BS carbs?
                  Do you have points or electronic ignition?

I am betting that you have an '80 bike that was MADE in late '79 and some Bozo at the DMV office titled it as a '79.

The previous owner said it was a '79 and the VIN comes out as a '79 as well. It has a kick start and electric start on it, which I read that '79 was the last year they put on both. I can't speak off the top of my head as to the rest of your questions Steve (like I said, newbie still learning).

Edit: googled front master cylinder, if it's the front brake fluid reservoir on top of the handlebars like it seems it is, then mine is round.
                  Last edited by Guest; 03-24-2015, 10:54 AM.

Comment

The previous owner said it was a '79 and the VIN comes out as a '79 as well. It has a kick start and electric start on it, which I read that '79 was the last year they put on both. I can't speak off the top of my head as to the rest of your questions Steve (like I said, newbie still learning).

Edit: googled front master cylinder, if it's the front brake fluid reservoir on top of the handlebars like it seems it is, then mine is round.
                    This where the fun starts. Mine is 81 and has a round reservoir. Most likely a PO replaced it.
                    97 R1100R
                    Previous
                    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

BBohp21,

Buy a pack of 15 amp fuses.

If it blows as soon as you put one one back in, before turn on the key: find the regulator/rectifyer ("R/R", usally on side or bottom of battery box, the aluminum finned thing) and disconnect it, see if next fuse does not blow. And if you want more evidence, plug it back in and see if the fuse blows.
                      Bike will run without the R/R connected, with a good main fuse, just will not be charging the battery, and running entirely off the battery.

Last edited by Redman; 03-24-2015, 12:45 PM.
                      http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                      Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                        BBohp21,

Buy a pack of 15 amp fuses.

If it blows as soon as you put one one back in, before turn on the key: find the regulator/rectifyer ("R/R", usally on side or bottom of battery box, the aluminum finned thing) and disconnect it, see if next fuse does not blow. And if you want more evidence, plug it back in and see if the fuse blows.
                        Bike will run without the R/R connected, with a good main fuse, just will not be charging the battery, and running entirely off the battery.

I take it this be to test if the R/R is the culprit behind blowing the fuse? The R/R regulates voltage coming from the alternator while the bike is running, and a faulty R/R would not regulate it and overload the electrical system causing the blown fuse... am I getting that right?

Comment

While you're checking out what Steve asked, try to determine if this bike appears to have separate rectifier and regulator rather than a combo unit that's found on later years.
                          1981 gs650L

Comment

I had the same thing happen to me on my 850. Running fine, pulled up to a stoplight in a left turn lane, idled for a bit and then simply died. The main fuse had blown. Later I discovered that the PO had mixed up the fuses and put a 10A fuse in the spot for the main circuit (which should have been 15) and put the 15A fuse in the lights circuit (which should have been 10).

I guess what I'm saying in a roundabout way is make sure you have the right fuses in the right spots. And also know that fuses can go bad with age. My hypothesis is that the metal filament inside the glass is subject to vibration which weakens the ends where it is bonded to the terminals.
                            Charles
                            --
                            1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

I take it this be to test if the R/R is the culprit behind blowing the fuse? ................
                              Yes.
                              SInce the fuse is blowing quite regularly, can disconnect the R/R to remove it from being able to blow the fuse.
                              Do replace the fuse, and the bike can run without the R/R, and if go a lot longer than you had before, well, then you can surmise the R/R is-has been-was the problem. Can run bike a long time, just are not charging the battery, but do need to get back to a charger.

........... The R/R regulates voltage coming from the alternator while the bike is running, .............
                              YES. The R/R is a regulator.... and....

Although a matter of definition.
                              Your bike has a stator, which is a 3 phase AC generator, and that goes to your R/R which is a seperate device, and that Rectifies the AC to DC and Regulates it to, say, 13.5 volts.
                              (and to further confuse things, GSes prior to say, 78, the rectifyer was a seperate device and the regulator was a seperate device)

An "alternator" is a name used to describe a device that is all that in one unit (mechanical spin goes in one end, and 12vdc current comes out the other end), which these suzukis dont have, but is common in automotive since the 40 & 50S and Honda mocykle sine the mid 70s and BMW mocykls for as long as I have known (some you can see it, looks rather automotive, belt driven and all).

........ and a faulty R/R would not regulate it and overload the electrical system causing the blown fuse... am I getting that right?
                              A fault R/R can fail in a few differnt ways:
                              1- have an intenal fault that shorts your DC power to ground, and blow the fuse as soon as it is connected. (the situation we suspect here in this case)
                              2- not regulte well so have way high voltage
                              3- have an internal fault that essentially shorts out the stator and burns out the stator.
                              4- not regulate well so have way low voltage (although that usally a wiring problem or stator problem)

Sometimes exhibits both symptoms 1 & 3.

Last edited by Redman; 03-24-2015, 05:04 PM.
                              http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                              Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Working...
                              X