GM HEI ignitor and Coil conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GM HEI ignitor and Coil conversion

Has anyone attempted this conversion on a Suzuki?

I did this conversion on my honda CB900F.

I saw someone had already made schematics for a GS1100 but the link provided does not work. any of the moderators have the schematic would like to send my way??

The link here is for a Kawasaki GPZ but youll get the idea. This conversion is amazing $15.00 per ignitor, coils are 20$, 8mm Accel wire set 30$....woot!! On my CB Im able to idle at around 7-800 rpm if I wanted to and the cold starts even in my heated garage are no longer a problem with this setup. If anyone here has the schematic already send it my way or post here.

Thanks in advance.

Forgot the link

http://www.geocities.ws/loudgpz/index-2.html#home

Comment

I knew of a former member that had attempted it, but was having some problems. Have not heard from him for 7 or 8 years, don't know if it was ever resolved.

The concept sounds great, as many of the coil packs are set up for two plugs per pack.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Seems like it should work, but my understanding is that the pulse sensors are not all the same among the GS models and also some have electronic advance built into the ignitor unit instead of a mechanical advance on the rotating magnet thingamajig.
        Charles
        --
        1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

I did it last year on the invalid.

The link the schematic that started me off is in the first post of that thread.
          I used CB1000 coils iirc, but was looking at a pair of twin-ended Fiat car coils if they hadn't worked.
          Ratrod66 (not sure about the member name) did the same setup on his GS650, with good results.
          I'll be transferring over the HEI system to the '80 bike this summer for a long-term test, but really, I don't see any particular drawbacks, and some benefits. These modules will run stick coils quite happily, so might got that way with them, too.
          Last edited by Grimly; 03-24-2015, 10:03 PM.
          ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Heard he fired it up,and created took it for a rip, got to 88mph, and is now somewhere back in the 1950's....
            -Mark
            Boston, MA
            Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
            sigpic
            1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

This is what I used its at the very end of the pdf as an Addendum. I used the metal electircal wiring box to enclose the 2 ignitors.

Comment

Working...
              X