No announcement yet.

Condenser problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just bought NGK on eBay for less than $20 for a set.
    Yes you need them. They will melt the points and plugs
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

OK, I let some moths out of my wallet and ordered the new caps. Even went crazy and ordered some new grommets for the side covers.

Comment

Update: Got the new NGK plug ends from Z1 and installed them. Measured resistance across ends...get about 5k ohms instead of 10k of OE ends. Now total resistance from end to end on each coil is about 21k ohms.

Of course bike runs much better; idles smoother, all pipes uniformly warm, less buzzy at high RPMs. So all is good...for now.

Would like to get the metal covers off the old ends and put them on new ends for that OE look.

Thanks for the helpful comments and suggestions.
        Brian

Comment

Glad you have it sorted and I'm sure are wearing at least small smile of satisfaction from a job done well.

Comment

Yes, this bike is a pure joy to ride when everything is working but that has been hit and miss since I bought it. Those plug caps were probably my problem all along and I just failed to recognize it. Thanks to your suggestion that my condenser failures may be due to high coil resistance on the high voltage side which led me to measure the total coil resistance cap-to-cap. And finding an open in one coil.

The ultimate fix will be to install a Dyna S, green coils and new plug wires. And the purchase of the new plug caps won't be wasted because I will use them on the new system. Just need money.

Thanks for your help
            Brian

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
              Dyna-S is no where near $300. They can be picked up for under $140 all day long. Shop around and you can find them for less.
              From Z1:

Dyna S ........$133
              Green coils.. $130
              Plug wires....$17

By the time I pay shipping and currency exchange it would be about $350.

Comment

Working...
              X