Replacing original spark plugs wires.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing original spark plugs wires.

A couple of months back I went through the coils on my 1100GK and 1100GL. As I'd taken photos of the process I thought I'd share them here to help in the future. I'd noticed isolated photos and descriptions posted by folks on here and I used them as reference during my run at it. Thank you for your posts. Hopefully putting photos step by step might encourage others to make the jump. It's worth doing. My bike now runs better and no longer shocks me when I am near the valve cover lol. Only ~500 miles on them so far, but they've functioned flawlessly

First I removed the wires by gripping the coil in one hand, and twisting the wire in the other.

This tore the outer most layer of insulation right at the exit to the coil, and the old wires easily slipped out.

On one coil I chose to chip away the old epoxy, but this was also taking chunks out of my coil. After some thought I decided to throw on the dust mask and hit the edge of the coil quickly on the grinding wheel. I liked the result.

This leaves the that outer most layer of wire insulation the last remaining hurdle in dis-assembly. The epoxy used to assemble the coils is very thin down around this insulation. I used a straight pick like this -

-around the perimeter of the remaining insulation inside the coil opening

-working in circles and what-not to break the epoxy's hold. Now, if you're wondering, this only applies to the perimeter of the hole. the base has a protruding spike that goes into your wire and shouldn't be trifled with. Ok, after a little while you wind up with these little brain slugs-

Hooray! Now you should install your new wires! I used 7mm regular old copper wires from Oreilly's. The special ordered a long length for me from a bulk roll in warehouse (figured owning some extra wire could be handy. Anyway cut your wires close to length and install them held in place with the epoxy of your choice. (I actually took a risk and used a dab of Gorilla Glue, has held great so far but use at your own risk).

Oops, lost that picture. Oh well, you get the idea.

Top off the wires with NGK XB05F and VB05F caps and throw them on the bike.

A good coil relay mod won't hurt ya either.

Keep those wires off your valve cover, and wire spacers can be built using ziptyes if you want (search google).

If this post is redundant feel free to remove it. Just thought it might convince someone to dive into their coils. (It's easy)

Good info there.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9zH8w8Civs8ejBJWjdvYi1LNTg&resourcekey=0-hlJp0Yc4K_VN9g7Jyy4KQg&authuser=fussbucket_1%40msn.com&usp=drive_fs
    1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Thanks for the write-up!
      Charles
      --
      1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Nice job. You might mention what sleeving you're using, as that's important, too. Or was the original stuff still ok?
        ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Great write up, thanks for sharing it. You should contact Cliff and see if he can post this to his website, it would be a great addition. I did this to my 78' 1000 4 years back and they're still working perfectly. If I remember right I used a type of epoxy putty from Canadian tire.
          Rob
          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Honestly I didn't mention sleeving because I'm no longer using much. At first (as seen in some of the pictures) I used the original sleeving split with a razor blade (It didn't want to slip off on it's own) and retained it with lengths of heat shrink purchased from the local plumbing supply (sold in 3 ft lengths there). The wires became hell to bend and didn't want to easily return to their original routing (there's a pretty steep bend just south of the coil on mine). Wound up using a smaller diameter heat shrink and no cover. With their flexibility they seem easier to route around the valve cover without resting so close on it or close to each other.

Comment

Whatever works for you. Long-term vibration killed the sleeves on one of mine and out of desperation I wound up using bright yellow garden hose as an outer for quite a long time on that bike. I just couldn't find the right silicone rubber that matched the OEM stuff, and something was better than nothing.
              Of course, brightly coloured HT leads are now a 'feature'.
              That's what it was, yeah.
              Last edited by Grimly; 04-06-2015, 06:31 PM.
              ---- Dave

Comment

Lol. So far so good. found a picture installed, but before I'd finished wiggling to where I'd wanted. Forgive the dirty engine, I've since cleaned it up a bit.

Comment

Oh, found a picture of the coil with gorilla glue. I'd still recommend epoxy for absolute bulletproof applications. The GS is my local daily driver and I generally take the Triumph on long trips so I didn't bother to ride out to get epoxy for my uses. Still, this stuff locked on tighter than dick's hat band and seems harder than a rock so maybe it'll work for others too.

Comment

"Dirty engine", he says. I wish mine were as dirty as that.
                    ---- Dave

Comment

Lol, I guess I just stay frustrated at the GS' lack of cleanliness because I always feel like I lack the space to completely dissassemble the bike and build it back. Well, space is tight but time is tighter. I'd always prefer to work a job from start to finish but between my junk and customer junk I usually end up with too many things going on at once to do to the GS what I'd like to do. Now I'm looking at letting the boss retire and buying his business, a likely XS650 purchase, a nephew or niece on the way and so on and so forth. C'est la vie

Comment

I used the grinder method on my 850G coils as well. So much simpler and faster.

Comment

Working...
                        X