Battery vent routing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery vent routing

My bike came without a battery vent hose. Got the right size tubing, and there appears to be only one way to route it. The hole through a pair of metal plates right below the battery vent is quite tight, and I'm sure it restricts flow somewhat.

image.jpg

Just noticed that the top plate is covered in white powder, indicating battery acid leakage.

I tried taking a drill to the routing hole, but it was hard because the two plates are not perfectly aligned.

1. Am I routing the vent hose properly?

2. What's a good way to clean the places where acid has leaked?

Another pic above.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

It vents and should not flow unless you are overcharging.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

image.jpg

Sorry, this pic is upside down. Anyone have a similar occurrence?

I'm sticking with this battery until it dies.
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
        It vents and should not flow unless you are overcharging.
        I rarely even look at the charger during riding season.

If it were overcharging with normal use, where would the problem likely lie? Regulator/rectifier?

Comment

It's possible but you need to run through the Quick Test that is in Posplayer's signature
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I gave up trying to thread the vent hose through that gap. if I got it through I could never get enough grip on it to fully seat the hose back on the battery. Maybe modern ones have thicker walls than back then. Now it hangs outside the hole. I keep meaning to secure it with a cable tie. One of these days.
            Overcharging should be easy to spot. If you have high end of fifteen heading for sixteen volts at the battery at 5000 rpm it will cook. In extreme cases bulbs will start blowing frequently. Shorted plates can do it as well particularly during prolonged cranking.
            I had that white powder when i got the bike - not as much as in your picture. There was nothing wrong with the charging system or battery apart from the usual earthing issues and I put it all down to the vent not seated properly.
            97 R1100R
            Previous
            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

The factory tube has a thin wall and therefore smaller outer diameter in comparison to what you might find from the limited supply of retail stores.

Comment

New batteries often come with a new tube, but I found that aquarium air hose is the same size as the original. Well, the stuff that I had, was. No doubt it varies.
                ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Well, I bit the beer, I mean bullet, last night and removed the battery. On my bike that entails not only unbolting the gas tank and keeping it lifted, but unbolting and removing a frame cross member. And it's only that simple because of the pods!

Scrubbed the battery, added a bit of water to two cells, and set it up on the charger with the vent hose going into a clean, dry container.

In the meantime, I took a drill to that routing hole and showed it who's boss.

In the morning, the charger was in maintenance mode, and there was only a very small amount of acid in the container.

I cleaned the battery box and area with a toothbrush and water/baking soda. Tomorrow she goes in for corrective surgery.

Comment

Lead acid batteries are for mental tardigrades who love rusty frames.
                    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Rob, it is against forum rules to start a thread about a vent line hose port/guide/hole in your battery box.
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Go sealed and do away with the corrosion once and for all is my opinion.
                        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Rob, it is against forum rules to start a thread about a vent line hose port/guide/hole in your battery box.
                          ?!?!?!?

image.jpg

Bought the bike in October with no vent hose. When I finally made access to the battery (three months later), I found almost no acid in it, yet it had never failed on me. So I'm guessing it might last a bit longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                            ?!?!?!?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38978[/ATTACH]

Bought the bike in October with no vent hose. When I finally made access to the battery (three months later), I found almost no acid in it, yet it had never failed on me. So I'm guessing it might last a bit longer.
                            It was a joke Rob.

Comment

It was a joke Rob.
                              I figured as much, but since my smack in the head, I'm a little slow. Add a smilie to make it easier on me.

BTW, Suzi gets towed to the shop the day after tomorrow. Thanks for your help gathering the parts.

Comment

Working...
                              X