Starter Relay Coil Resistance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter Relay Coil Resistance

Just recently I have been blowing my main fuse when starting the bike and I think it has something to do with the starter relay. When I checked it with my DMM the coil resistance was very low and actually made my DMM beep when I had it on the continuity setting. What should the coil resitance be? However, the ignition wire (feeding the coil) is not the one getting hot, its the +12V wire feeding into the relay.

In addition to the main fuse blowing, my ignition fuse blew once while I was out riding and I have no idea if these two issues could be related. I will be completely updating my electrical system this rainy season with a new reg/rec and relay mods so posplayr don't yell at me yet. I'm simply asking about the starter relay.

I'd inspect you wiring harness very closely. The same thing was happening to my when I first picked up my GS1000. The problem turned out to be a wire that was warn through the insulation and was rubbing on the frame. The wire bundle that was rubbing was located under the gas tank near the coils. Turned out that vibration from running or starting the engine would cause the wire to short out intermittently.
    Last edited by JTGS850GL; 04-08-2015, 11:19 AM.
    http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
    1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

A meter beeping "continuity" only shows continuity, not a dead short. I am not sure what the resistance in the solenoid should be, but my Fluke will beep with resistances up to about 200 ohms.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I found the info in the manual 3-4 ohms
        Last edited by posplayr; 04-08-2015, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Good info, thank you. Looks like I'll be taking my gremlin search in a different direction

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
            I'd inspect you wiring harness very closely. The same thing was happening to my when I first picked up my GS1000. The problem turned out to be a wire that was warn through the insulation and was rubbing on the frame. The wire bundle that was rubbing was located under the gas tank near the coils. Turned out that vibration from running or starting the engine would cause the wire to short out intermittently.
            Interesting... it doesn't happen every time either, I'll bet you're on to something

Comment

Look for corrosion hidden in the main terminals for the positive and negative cables. The starter is a big load and corrosion can cause a huge high contact resistance amplifying the load. If the terminals have been corroded and are thin it can cause the same thing. The negative terminal attached to the transmission is the return path of the circuit for the starter motor.
              http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                I found the info in the manual 3-4 ohms
                http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...eadlamp+cutout
                The start relay in that picture is at least 50 ohm.

Comment

Starter_Relay_Resistance.jpg
                  Originally posted by canuckxxx View Post
                  The start relay in that picture is at least 50 ohm.
                  See bottom line of GS1100ED/ESD manual extract attached.

Comment

Working...
                  X