GS450 connect battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450 connect battery

Hi, I've just bought a 1980 GS450E barn bike. It didnt come with a battery and there is no clear indication as to which wires to connect to the battery. I've purchased a new battery, but need some help to connect it. Can someone please tell me which wires go onto which terminal of the battery. Will be greatly appreciated.

It has been a while since I worked on a 450, but I seem to remember that the battery is under the airbox, making it a bit difficult to reach the terminals. Follow the two large wires. You will find that one of them goes to the starter solenoid, the other one will likely be bolted to the back of the transmission. The wire attached to the solenoid will connect to the positive terminal on the battery, the wire attached to the transmission will connect to the negative terminal. If you see some smaller wires (black, with white stripes), they also go on the negative terminal.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      It has been a while since I worked on a 450, but I seem to remember that the battery is under the airbox, making it a bit difficult to reach the terminals. Follow the two large wires. You will find that one of them goes to the starter solenoid, the other one will likely be bolted to the back of the transmission. The wire attached to the solenoid will connect to the positive terminal on the battery, the wire attached to the transmission will connect to the negative terminal. If you see some smaller wires (black, with white stripes), they also go on the negative terminal.

Hi thanks for the reply, this will set me on the right path. Also found this article to help me.
      http://www.bikeexif.com/motorcycle-wiring

Comment

That article is interesting. Please use it for inspiration only, not as an actual guide on how to wire your GS.

There are SO many things different between his basic "chopper-esqe" wiring and what is on your bike.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi,yes thanks. Started tracing wires and noticed that.

Comment

Realize that there are several things to upgrading the wiring on your bike that are GS specific that are not covered in that write up. (see GS Charging Health in my signature)

In addition, I would also recommend a Series R/R rather than that Ricks unit for improved charging. The Ricks is a Shunt R/R which has been the bane of 95% of the motorcycle world for decades. Leave the past behind. (see GS Stator in my signature)

You might also consider a SSPB rather than the Motogadget m-Unit. The SSPB is quite a bit cheaper although it doesn't have all of the bells and whistles of the m_Unit. The SSPB is optimized for improved power distribution which includes a Single Point Ground Harness. You could make your own for the m-Unit but then again you can also pay more money than the SSPB. The SSPB links are in my signature.
            Last edited by posplayr; 04-17-2015, 03:17 AM.

Comment

FYI: I posted some comments to that writeup under the handle "SolidStatePowerBox"

Intimidated by the thought of messing with your motorcycle wiring? Then follow our expert-written guide to fixing issues with electrics.

Comment

Hi posplayr awesome thank you for your comments. Really appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by rzeoriginal View Post
                  Hi, I've just bought a 1980 GS450E barn bike. It didnt come with a battery and there is no clear indication as to which wires to connect to the battery. I've purchased a new battery, but need some help to connect it. Can someone please tell me which wires go onto which terminal of the battery. Will be greatly appreciated.
                  Are there some thicker wires near the battery well? You should have a thick wire from the starter solenoid which goes to the +ve battery terminal and a thick wire which is bolted to the engine / frame that goes to the -ve terminal.
                  Current:
                  Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
                  VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                  And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Hi hillsy. yes thanks I've identified those. The wire from the solenoid also has a wire attached which comes from the rectifier.

The next issue is replacing the ignition switch, which is an universal switch which I have no key for. Bought a replacement universal switch, so just need to match the wires up. I've activated and the charged the battery, so I'm just about ready to see if there is any life in the electric system.

Comment

Working...
                    X