Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TOOL: Test leads for electrical failure diagnosis, refined.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TOOL: Test leads for electrical failure diagnosis, refined.

In my time doing maintenance in this industry I've found myself doing a lot in the way of electrical failure diagnosis.

Out of all the little diagnostic tools I've had to build over the years none are used as often as my little test leads. Test leads should be in a drawer in every motorcyclist's toolbox as far as I'm concerned. I can't take credit for their invention as they're actually quite common and the idea is far older than I am. I did modify the way I was shown (single wire) to multiple wire "grab and go" assemblies that work well for me and seem to be envied by everyone I've worked with lol. Also if someone has never saw the concept at all then maybe they'll want to make some be it my way or individual wire. I don't know that any of ya'll will have use for them as I've been in the garage too long to know what a normal human being goes through day to day, but if you fix a lot of crap maybe they'll be of some help.

Pins are available through online retailers, Suzuki, Yamaha, and parts unlimited so they're easy to find. Standard crimping procedures apply, though without grommets (no use in this application) the waterproof connector pins' grommet clip is better bent over 1 at a time rather than using an open barrel crimper. Build each wire with a male and female that match each other on each end to aid in finding which wire you're connecting to in a test (clip to a female spade if you're plugged into a female spade). I use the bullet pins, small spade, large spade, and waterproof pins and they cover 99% of what comes through my shop. Harleys take another pin style, another reason to tell them I can't service their vehicle :-)

I find these more convenient than backprobe pins most of the time, and they're much simpler than trying to wiggle your meter's probe into a connector lol. Whenever a test comes a long, just grab a few sets of these and they should cover whatever testing you'll do. Now go make some!

Sorry for the terrible first picture.

Great idea, thanks.

I seem to do a bit more electrical work than the average 'wrench', why haven't I thought of that before?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If I understand correctly, what you would do with these are,
      -when take apart a set of connectors, you could connect in whichever test lead has the appropriate connector that matches the particular type of connector, and then would be easier to get a meter lead on the other end of your test lead, or maybe then jumper over to another position on the connector.

yah, that would work better than just a piece of wire with stripped ends , and even better that a piece of wire with the stripped ends solder tinned.

Last edited by Redman; 04-16-2015, 12:57 AM.
      http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
      Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

The only problem with this is that I will miss out on the occasional slip with my oh-so sharp multi-meter probe which always finds it's way into my hand. I will miss the blood and pain!

Good tech tip!
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I'm not exactly sure what this is for. I am quite familiar with what is called a "test" breakout harness but it is not clear how this is used.

Is this inserted in series between the stator and R/R for stator testing or is it and extension to the 3 stator wires for open circuit testing.

What is the 4th wire for?

Clarification of the specific tests would be sufficient

Comment

I get a lot of use out of them, despite a whole drawer of back probe pins. I love alligator clip meter leads and these work well with those.

An example would be unplugging a stator connector, plugging one of the large spades in one hole on the connector block, another in a subsequent hole (Bullet leads like the GS are relatively uncommon these days), isolating the two from one another by bending or placing something between them and clipping the meter on to do testing.

The female pins are pretty much unnecessary as most male plug pins can be reached easy, but even then sometime's they'll make a difference. I just like it because when I have something come in like a no charge condition I can just grab my jump box (love the new little lithium jobs, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1), meter, and a couple of these assemblies and avoid going back and forth to my toolbox for different probes.

It really beats having a probe in each hand trying to get a good connection in a plug dangling from a harness and trying to press a starter button with your nose (Yeah, desperate times call for desperate measures).

Comment

They're just to get a good connection to test from on a open connector block. The do help with jumper lead wires too. Just an extension of a meter leads more than a standalone tool. Open circuit testing primarily. It's just 4 wires with different connectors on them, so if you go to test you'll almost always have the male pin needed to plug into an open connector. I suppose a man could solder 4 ends onto one wire but seems like a lot to do.
              Last edited by Guest; 04-16-2015, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Oh and one set of these is useless, 2 sets are a minimum to make them useful. Pics on the way.
                phone is being an &%^. Have them soon.
                Last edited by Guest; 04-16-2015, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Forgive the mess, home shop stays that way. Incorrect pin for connector but still allows open circuit testing.

With two sets you have pins to cover most open circuit tests you'll run into on a random electrical diag brought in.

Comment

Very cool Baron. May try to make me a set of these.

Comment

I'm trying to think if there's anything else in my toolboxes that I take for granted. Doubt ya'll have use for a Suzuki SET adjustment thingie. I do have an old turn signal wired through a fuse, dunno if that's common. Everything else seems more atv related and less GS related.

Comment

I did this back in my R/C car days, but more as a universal power adapter than something to hook test leads to. Come to think of it, I don't think I owned a meter back then. If I recall correctly, I used it mainly to charge smaller batteries off my only charger. Those NiCd packs sure could take a beating. It also served as a universal gender changer and Y connector. Even back then I was smart enough to not connect a receiver (5V load) to a main battery pack (7.2V, 8.4V, and eventually 2x7.2V).

Steve, you may be shocked to hear that I never blew anything up with that. Other things, however, did get burned through or just plain set on fire. Just not by my universal adapters.
                        Dogma
                        --
                        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                        '80 GS850 GLT
                        '80 GS1000 GT
                        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

It just occurred to me that you could add a long pair of wires to just replace the test leads, rather than connecting via gator clips. Speaking of gator clips, it should have those too.
                          Dogma
                          --
                          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                          '80 GS850 GLT
                          '80 GS1000 GT
                          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                            ........... more as a universal power adapter .............
                            For troubleshooting, I guess I have always used a "universal adapter".. ah... stripped wire - jammed into a connector.

For a power cord at campground I had a "universal adapter" also.
                            Mr Ranger was horrified.

http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                            Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Working...
                            X