GS 550 Ignition fuse blows at key-on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 550 Ignition fuse blows at key-on

This bike has been sitting about a year. When I turn the key on, the ignition fuse at the starter solenoid blows instantly, everytime. the wire on the battery cable side of the fuse seems good, its the other side that has continuity to Ground. Does anyone know where the other end of this wire will be? Figured I was better checking on here than taking stuff apart to try to trace wires right away. I imagine the wire must go to the ignition but does it tie into anything else along the way that I could take a look at?

Thanks

I should also mention its a 1978. Ive owned a few suzukis of this era good to see theres a forum for them, never even thought to look for one before today

Comment

Disconnect the R/R and try again....................

see this related thread.

Comment

Thanks, I would guess your talking about a Voltage regulator/rectifier? Where is it on these bikes?

Comment

if you look at your manual it will show you what it looks like and where it is located.

Comment

I dont have a manual. But I did manage to get off my butt and go out to the garage and look at the bike. I found the regulator right by the starter solenoid. But after blowing 6 fuses and checking different things, I found that the bike is fine with the key on as long as the kill switch is in the off position. I did manage to get it cranking and it started to sputter but then blew the fuse. So the problem now is the bike will turn on, all lights function and whatnot as normal, but right when I put the bike on "run" the fuse blows

Comment

You can go to Basscliff's website for free manual downloads.

Sounds like you have a short in the ignitor; unplug it and see if it disappears. of course it will not run? Wait you probaly have points unless someone swapped in a Dyna-S. Check under the right hand cover to see what is there.

Disconnect it , unless points then look for a wire rubbing somewhere to ground. Pull the tank and have a look starting at the handle bar back to the fuse box.

Comment

I downloaded the manual. Ill have to get a better look tomorrow. I pulled the tank off and looked at all the wiring under there, didnt see anything touching metal. I moved all the wires around. when I turn the switch to "run" the Orange wire coming from the kill switch gets warm before the fuse blows, other 2 wires stay cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris15379 View Post
                  I downloaded the manual. Ill have to get a better look tomorrow. I pulled the tank off and looked at all the wiring under there, didnt see anything touching metal. I moved all the wires around. when I turn the switch to "run" the Orange wire coming from the kill switch gets warm before the fuse blows, other 2 wires stay cool.
                  Bad sign, Just to be sure, check your coils to see if you have 3-4 ohms. If one shorted and had say only 1 ohm then it would pull much more current.

Comment

Thanks for the help. Your saying to disconnect the 2 leads coming off of each coil, and check resistance across the 2, looking for 3-4ohms? Also what are you thinking it would be if the coils check out ok? Looking at the the wiring diagram it seems like the orange wire goes all over the place. One thing worth mentioning, for the couple times I was able to get the bike to turn over, with the kill switch on "run" and it started to sputter, I had the right side plug out, connected, and sitting on the head. The bike was sputtering but the plug that was out wasnt sparking at all
                    Last edited by Guest; 04-19-2015, 01:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris15379 View Post
                      Thanks for the help. Your saying to disconnect the 2 leads coming off of each coil, and check resistance across the 2, looking for 3-4ohms? Also what are you thinking it would be if the coils check out ok? Looking at the the wiring diagram it seems like the orange wire goes all over the place. One thing worth mentioning, for the couple times I was able to get the bike to turn over, with the kill switch on "run" and it started to sputter, I had the right side plug out, connected, and sitting on the head. The bike was sputtering but the plug that was out wasnt sparking at all
                      I'm thinking you should look under the cover and see if you have points to a dyna S or some other ignition installed..........

Comment

20150419_100800.jpg hopefully this works. I assume this is thr points ignition? Never worked on one before. Never had a bike or car old enough

Comment

I completely disconnected the coils and removed them. Problem still occurs so I assume they arent the issue. Is there a way to bypass the kill switch to rule the switch itself out?

Comment

If you've disconnected both coils then my guess would be a harness or melted connector issue. Remove the tank and inspect all along the main harness. There are three connectors along the path from the coils to the emergency cutoff switch. Two connectors are right at the coils and one is under the tank. Look for any abrasions along the harness as well. You're tracing the path of an Orange/White wire.
                            http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                            1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I also checked the coils, had 3.5-4 ohms on both. Ill take a closer look at the harness, wish there was another way to narrow it down
                              Last edited by Guest; 04-19-2015, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X