Aftermarket lights, wiring issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aftermarket lights, wiring issues

I have an aftermarket brake light that I need to install. It turns on when I ground it and then run a wire from the hot to the +battery terminal. Looking at wiring diagram shows the Brown wire from the ignition going to the light. But the light doesn't turn on when I turn the key. I verified that the brown wire has connectivity from the ignition to the wire end that connects to the light. Does anyone have any insight?

Edit: I looked:

White is brake switched o/g ; that means it goes to +12v with brake switch. Brown should be hot with key on . Only thing left in b/w ground. Do you have s ground?

if all else fails get a $5 VOM from HF

Last edited by posplayr; 04-20-2015, 10:09 AM.

Comment

How many wires coming out of that aftermarket light? If only 2, you have a single filament bulb, only 1 light (Brake or Running). If you want the light to come on with key and to get brighter with brake switch, then you need a dual filament bulb/assembly.

Comment

Originally posted by gordinho80 View Post
        How many wires coming out of that aftermarket light? If only 2, you have a single filament bulb, only 1 light (Brake or Running). If you want the light to come on with key and to get brighter with brake switch, then you need a dual filament bulb/assembly.

Op op said it was aftermarket; how much more descriptive could he be?

Comment

LED lights. 3 wires. I assume one is ground, one is running and license plate light, and one is brake switch light.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
            Edit: I looked:

White is brake switched o/g ; that means it goes to +12v with brake switch. Brown should be hot with key on . Only thing left in b/w ground. Do you have s ground?

if all else fails get a $5 VOM from HF

http://www.mtsac.edu/%7Ecliff/storag...atic_color.pdf
            I found that the wires on the light to represent such: green is ground, yellow is running, brown is brake.
            At the switch I have one white wire and one orange wire.
            Posplayr, I'll give your instructions a try.

Comment

Where your stock light plugged in, there would be a white wire, a brown wire and a black wire with a white stripe.
              White wire is BRAKE
              Brown wire is TAIL
              Black/white wire is GROUND.

Now, adapt those to what you have found with your new light, it should be good to go.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Where your stock light plugged in, there would be a white wire, a brown wire and a black wire with a white stripe.
                White wire is BRAKE
                Brown wire is TAIL
                Black/white wire is GROUND.

Now, adapt those to what you have found with your new light, it should be good to go.

I don't have the original brake light connector any longer. What I do have is the brown wire from the ignition switch, the brake switch with it's orange and white wire, then the new brake light which has green for ground, brown for brake, and yellow for running light.

I was able to get the switch working. So when I have the bike running and hit the brake the light and license plate light turns on but the running light isn't lit. I can't get 12v to the brown wire at the ignition which I think is the problem. I'm wondering if the ignition is malfunctioning?

Comment

Originally posted by williampkerr View Post
                  I don't have the original brake light connector any longer. What I do have is the brown wire from the ignition switch, the brake switch with it's orange and white wire, then the new brake light which has green for ground, brown for brake, and yellow for running light.
                  OK, I said you should have brown, white and black/white wires.

You said you have a brown wire and a white wire, you only need a ground. You can connect to the frame for a ground.

The orange wire FEEDS the brake switch, the white wire goes from the switch to the light.
                  If you connect to the orange wire, your brake light will be on ALL the time.

Based on what you have posted, connect:
                  your bike's brown wire to the light's yellow wire
                  your bike's white wire to the light's brown wire
                  your bike's (missing) black/white wire to the light's green wire, or just connect the green wire to the chassis for a ground.

I was able to get the switch working.
                  What switch? I must have missed the post where you said a switch is not working.

So when I have the bike running and hit the brake the light and license plate light turns on but the running light isn't lit.
                  "the light and the license plate light" turn on. What light came on?

Sounds like the light itself is wired incorrectly. If it is of Chinese ancestry I would not trust the wire colors and just go by function.

I can't get 12v to the brown wire at the ignition which I think is the problem. I'm wondering if the ignition is malfunctioning?
                  Not sure what you are trying to do there, but the brown wire does not feed the ignition switch, the switch feeds the wire. In the RUN position, the brown wire is fed by the gray wire. In the PARK position, it is fed by the red wire.

In your first post, you said you had continuity from the ignition switch to the end of the brown wire. You should see 12 volts at the brown wire when you turn the key ON.

Based on your description of what you are doing, it appears that you are trying to use your new light to power the bike.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

I'm sorry, it's hard to relay via text exactly what I'm experiencing. Currently the brake switch is working, but the brake light's running light isn't working. No light when I turn the key on. I read your reply and see that the grey wire feeds to brown wire at the ignition. Crrently the brown and grey ignition wire isn't connected to anything because I don't know what to connect then to.

Comment

Wiring diagram. Click the link.

OK, clicking the link will help, but there is also some confusion there.

I just looked at all the 850 wiring diagrams on BassCliff's site, they all seem to have a problem.
                      There is no connection between the gray and brownn wires and the rest of the bike.

The gray wire is actually fed from the headlight circuit, specifically the instrument lights. It then goes to the ignition switch, which then connects it to the tail light via the brown wire. I don't know where the gray wire actually connects, but it's probably in the headlight bucket.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

I posted this schematic way up top............... for a GS750, but it appears to be a similar current flow.

It shows that:
                        the grey wire powered by the O/R from the headlamp switch.
                        Then grey connects to brown inside of the ignition switch. Greg does go to the instrument panel but is not powered there.
                        Brown is the tail light (running light).
                        The Brake light comes from signal O/G and is switched by the brake switches to give white.

Comment

That diagram does show the gray wire connecting to the instrument lights. None of the 850 diagrams show that connection just above the ignition switch, they only show a direct run from the ignition switch to the license light for the gray wire and from the ignition switch to the tail light for the brown wire. No other connections in either wire.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

Yes grey connects to the instrument lights but the power comes from here.....
                            The greg gets it's power from the O/R headlamp. Inthe schematci you show it is a conenctor that used t ogo to a headlamp switch.

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            That diagram does show the gray wire connecting to the instrument lights. None of the 850 diagrams show that connection just above the ignition switch, they only show a direct run from the ignition switch to the license light for the gray wire and from the ignition switch to the tail light for the brown wire. No other connections in either wire.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                              Yes grey connects to the instrument lights but the power comes from here.....
                              The greg gets it's power from the O/R headlamp. Inthe schematci you show it is a conenctor that used t ogo to a headlamp switch.
                              I also don't have the original headlight or instrument panel. I'll try splicing the grey wire to the Orange/Red coming from the fuse. Then I'll check the brown wire at the ignition switch for 12v. If success then I'll try to finish wiring the brake light asap. Been busy with school today. Maybe I'll have time tomorrow to work on this. Thanks for the help Posplayr.

Comment

Working...
                              X