Aftermarket lights, wiring issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
    Yes grey connects to the instrument lights but the power comes from here.....
    The greg gets it's power from the O/R headlamp. Inthe schematci you show it is a conenctor that used t ogo to a headlamp switch.
    If you read that diagram PROPERLY, you will note that there is no connection where the two gray wires cross, but there should be.

As shown in the diagram, the gray wire goes from the ignition switch to the license light with no other connections. It should have a black dot at the intersection with the other gray wire, just like the other black dots shown in that little clip.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      If you read that diagram PROPERLY, you will note that there is no connection where the two gray wires cross, but there should be.

As shown in the diagram, the gray wire goes from the ignition switch to the license light with no other connections. It should have a black dot at the intersection with the other gray wire, just like the other black dots shown in that little clip.

Okay, cool. I was wondering about that. Thanks for the note!

Comment

If you have really hacked up your harness, then look over this as it is the minimum configuration for a Bobber. It does not include lights, as I assumed that was up to the particular builder.

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Comment

In the figure above I contrasted the 1981 GS750E schematic with the 1980 GS850GT/GLT. There is a mistake in the GS850 schematic. Suzuki was fairly consistent and even when there are variations within the different models (8V v.s. 16V in particular) there was still a sense of duty to maintain coloring standard with the models.

In general if you have a multi position fuse box, you can always expect to see the following:

Red (from Battery) turns to Orange at the Ignition switch (when "ON") and returning to the fuse box.
          At the fuse box Orange is distributed (through fuses) to :

• Orange/Green (SIGNAL)
          • Orange /Red (HEADLAMP)
          • Orange/White(Ignition)

The greg and brown are a bit convoluted but here is basically what happens.

O/R powers Grey (if there is a headlight control ON/OFF then it is in the switch, else it is accomplished in the harness.

Grey splits and powers the Gauge Lights and the Ignition switch. (both grey)

From the Ignition Switch Brown is powered in the "ON" and "PARK" position. (common to all standards GS's).

The brown circuit is used for the Tail light and optionally a front running/parking light.

There may be exceptions to this basic layout but from what I have seen it is pretty consistent across most schematics I have seen.
          Attached Files

Comment

Wow! Super thorough! I'm sure I'll be able to get brake light wired up now. I'll update progress when I can. Thanks!
            Last edited by Guest; 04-22-2015, 09:44 PM.

Comment

I got the brake light to come on when I turn the key, but brake light doesn't get brighter when I hit the brake. Here is the wiring: Brown from ignition to brown of brake light, white from brake switch to yellow at brake light, ground from frame to green ground at light. This leaves orange of brake switch disconnected.

I can get brake light to work if I change the wiring by moving brown from ignition to orange of brake switch and leaving white of brake switch connected to yellow at brake light, green of brake light is ground BUT the brake light doesn't come on when I turn the key. Of course with this wiring the brown from the brake light is now disconnected.

This is really starting to **** me off. Also, I have O/R from fuse box spliced to grey that goes to ignition and now brown supplies power to brake light. I'm thinking this light is a Chinese piece of ****.

Comment

Originally posted by williampkerr View Post
                I got the brake light to come on when I turn the key, but brake light doesn't get brighter when I hit the brake. Here is the wiring: Brown from ignition to brown of brake light, white from brake switch to yellow at brake light, ground from frame to green ground at light. This leaves orange of brake switch disconnected.

I can get brake light to work if I change the wiring by moving brown from ignition to orange of brake switch and leaving white of brake switch connected to yellow at brake light, green of brake light is ground BUT the brake light doesn't come on when I turn the key. Of course with this wiring the brown from the brake light is now disconnected.

This is really starting to **** me off. Also, I have O/R from fuse box spliced to grey that goes to ignition and now brown supplies power to brake light. I'm thinking this light is a Chinese piece of ****.

You only have three wires. Are you sure that:
                Green is ground
                Brown is tail light (comes on with IGN SW)
                Yellow is brake light.(Comes on with Brake switch)

Check it using wires and your battery.

three taken 2 at a time is only 6 combinations.

One of the 6 combinations is likely to work as you expect.

Comment

Originally posted by williampkerr View Post

Please go back and read post #9.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                  X