sparks/arcing from from to front of Gas tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sparks/arcing from from to front of Gas tank

I am getting this really small spark/arc that seems to be jumping from the frame to underneath the front of the gas tank. I only notice it in my garage when I turned the lights down. Bad spark plug wires? Bad ground somewhere?

I have a 79 750.

Thanks for any ideas.

Rick
    Last edited by Guest; 04-20-2015, 02:29 PM.

It's definitely ignition coil related. Could be bad wires or the coil is not grounded out properly. Check for any cracked wires or plug caps. Check the screws that secure the coils to the frames as well. Might consider this an opportunity to upgrade your plug wires and caps.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I will second the notion that your plug wires need to be replaced. Evidently at least one of them is leaking to the tank, which could make things a bit "interesting" if you happen to touch the tank and a ground at the same time. It could also be "interesting" if there happen to be some fuel vapors hanging around the vicinity.

I would look into replacing those wires QUICKLY.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Very interesting. KaBoom.
        NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
        Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Just thinking, is the spark going the other way? Frame to tank seems odd as the tank is more or less isolated. However it's much easier to think of a duff ht lead charging up the tank which then has to dump it to ground.
          But then charge goes opposite to current........................... My head hurts.
          Last edited by Brendan W; 04-21-2015, 05:48 AM.
          97 R1100R
          Previous
          80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Yes, I think you are correct. Somehow (bad plug wire likely) the tank is getting charged and then grounding to the frame. Hope new plug wires solves it since that's easy (-:! BTW, it's a 1979 750, but I put an electronic ignition in and swapped out the OEM coils for the green Dynas.

Thanks everyone for your responses!

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by ryonker View Post
              Yes, I think you are correct. Somehow (bad plug wire likely) the tank is getting charged and then grounding to the frame. Hope new plug wires solves it since that's easy (-:! BTW, it's a 1979 750, but I put an electronic ignition in and swapped out the OEM coils for the green Dynas.

Thanks everyone for your responses!

Rick
              measure the resistance if your wires to confirm they or or one are bad.if not it might be a one of the secondary connections. You never said say kind of wires you had.

Comment

I will check the wires. I think I had to make them from bulk wire after I switched out my OEM coils but that was 4 or 5 years ago. Any suggestions for plug wire replacements? I

Comment

No riding until your problem is fixed.
                  sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                  1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Hope this ain't the result of monkey business.
                    Like, if you want a new sport bike, just buy one.
                    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Working...
                    X