78 GS1000 low voltage at coils while cranking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gs11ezrydr View Post
    But at our shop rate of $75 an hour we do what we can do (the best we can within an allotted time frame) since most owners are on a budget. Perfection can be obtained with the proper amount of money that is.
    Not many shops will admit to this and I find it kind of refreshing. This is exactly why we try to talk members into becoming their own mechanics. These old bikes are more a labor of love than anything else. I'm glad to hear you are willing to learn. Most shops unfortunately are not. You can find Caig DeoxIT at Walmart, Home Depot, Radio Shack or on the Web. It's used a lot in the music industry so you might find it at a music store. You can cut back the wrapping of the the cable harness under the tank following the coil wires (about 4") and cut the wire from the kill switch just ahead of the split for the coils. Use the kill switch to activate a relay to feed direct voltage from the battery to the coils. This will also feed direct battery voltage to the Dyna-S if you use their installation instructions and tap into one of the coil wires.
    Last edited by OldVet66; 04-26-2015, 08:15 AM.
    '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

I've been looking for De-Oxit over here and been staggered at the price of it, once it's been through a couple of middlemen.
      I'll make do with other stuff in the meantime, but keep an eye open for a reasonable supplier.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Not cheap over here either. Jim, there is a lot of choice, what do you use? http://store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.292/.f
        '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Working...
        X