Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stator Woes... All three legs shorted to the case?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stator Woes... All three legs shorted to the case?

So as some of you may know, I've been having quite the electrical nightmare with my bike the last few weeks. I replaced my RR with an SH775 and proceeded to do my charging health tests (hey, at least the main fuse doesn't blow anymore!). Long story short, all three of the stator legs are shorted to the case. I pulled the starter cover to make sure the wires weren't being pinched and they weren't. Still shorted.

Is this something that happens... I mean, all three legs? I have to empty my oil drain pan before I can pull the cover off and take a closer look but I'll bet there is some melty stator bits in there

Installing an SH-775 will not undo any damage previously inflicted by another SHUNT R/R. Consider yourself lucky with such conclusive tests results. There is no question the stator is dead. Other poor slobs take weeks of failed positive test results before finally concluding the stator is burned out.

Comment

No need to drain the oil. Just put a 2x4 under the left leg of the centerstand, then pull the stator cover.

The bike is surprisingly stable in this condition.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

posplayr - thank you for the positive reinforcement, I knew college was a good idea!

Steve - you're a savior, I just put new oil in last weekend. I knew you could take off the clutch cover on the kickstand but this is great news, thanks

Now... has anyone bought an aftermarket stator? I'm looking at this. It replaces several part numbers but doesn't say what brand it is

Comment

You are correct, there is no "brand" identified. And it has a whopping 30-day warranty.

If you would like one that is freshly-rewound and has a ONE YEAR warranty, I have one for you.

It's not quite as cheap, though, it's $85, shipped to your door. Let me know.

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            You are correct, there is no "brand" identified. And it has a whopping 30-day warranty.

If you would like one that is freshly-rewound and has a ONE YEAR warranty, I have one for you.

It's not quite as cheap, though, it's $85, shipped to your door. Let me know.

Ah hah! You see... your stator doesn't have a brand either!

Comment

Originally posted by huntb View Post
              Is this something that happens... I mean, all three legs? I have to empty my oil drain pan before I can pull the cover off and take a closer look but I'll bet there is some melty stator bits in there
              The legs of a stator are nothing but coils of wire. They're all connected together at the internal end. Because of this, if one is shorted to ground they'll all appear as shorted to ground in a resistance / impedance test.
              Last edited by Guest; 04-22-2015, 11:52 PM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

Originally posted by huntb View Post
                Ah hah! You see... your stator doesn't have a brand either!
                You are quite correct, but at least I know where mine came from.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                X