Re-wiring my GS1100EZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-wiring my GS1100EZ

What begin as some touch up with the harness, evolved into a total re-wire when I find charred, brittle connectors all throughout the harness.

The bike had the original charging system components, ignition & coils so I decided to start saving $$ and go all out.

I have spent countless hours pouring thru the Electrical/Ignition forums trying to soak up info, since I am a total electrical noob.

The new parts list includes:

1.) New stator from Rick's Motorsports Electrics
    2.) SH775 series R/R
    3.) Dyna green coils
    4.) New factory wiring harness

Wiring modifications include:

1.) Ignition system relay
    2.) Wiring mods to the right hand switch recommended by Posplayr
    3.) Stator wired directly to SH775
    4.) SPG set up.
    5.) SH775 will be wired into the 12V lead in the factory harness

As stated above, I am a complete electrical newb. I am slowly getting things put back back together & thought I'd document things here.

Please: any tips and critiques are welcome.

Trying to keep things as neat as possible...the SH775 is mounted on the back of the electrics plate. Fits nicely.

The wiring routed around the battery box is from the ignition.

Last edited by Cassius086; 04-23-2015, 02:52 PM.
    Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that! :)

A lot of fun getting to the battery on our bike, right? Even without the stock air box.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

There are a variety of things to do; without a schematic it is hard to tell what was done. Here are the primary thing to do.

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Comment

Jim, I have several of those bookmarked already...they have been for awhile.

I have a schematic drawn on my whiteboard at work. I need to get a photo and post it up.
        Last edited by Cassius086; 04-23-2015, 02:54 PM.
        Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Comment

invest in different colors wires or get a label maker, a year from now on you won't remember which wire which if its not labeled or has a different wire than the manual. Otherwise just keep going everything looks great, I am installing new to me used harness myself in a week or two. Thus far I only cleaned the harness so i can work with it without getting all dirty, next step is label every connection and then rewrap it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius086 View Post
            Jim, I have several of those bookmarked already...they have been for awhile.

I have a schematic drawn on my whiteboard at work. I need to get a photo and post it up.
            I realize that, but have no way to answer your question based on the information you provided.

Comment

Well, I have returned to the land of the living!

Sorry it has taken so long to get a photo of the schematic in place, but life happens and projects are set aside for a time.

Here is the diagram for changes to a Single Point Ground. I really don't have any questions @ the moment regarding grounding, but anybody please feel free to point out mistakes, or suggestions for a cleaner install. Thanks for any advice/suggestions.

While it isn't in the diagram, the stator will be wired directly to the R/R. The relay is for the IGN system.
              Last edited by Cassius086; 06-17-2015, 05:38 PM.
              Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Comment

If the SPG is a frame bolt, you are fine. If not I would add another wire from the SPG to a frame bolt.

At the SPG all wires should be stacked ring lugs (better contact between them)with dielectric grease, or as I have been doing I connect battery,frame and R/R(-) into a single 10-12 awg ring lug (at the SPG) and crimp and solder them. The rest of the grounds get stacked with dielectric grease.

I would also do a headlamp relay with the cut out; your starter clutch will thank you.

Comment

Working...
                X