No announcement yet.

82 GS550L Weak Spark/Single Spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a write-up on BassCliff's site about installing the Dyna (that was on a points bike though; nonetheless it wires right up to the coils except the power lead). I borrowed and used an inductive timing light for my install, but there's a static method documented as well.

Comment

So is that how the ignitor is taken out of the loop? How does the dyna wiring differ from the ignitor circuit? My coils have a connector each, one has white(ground) and orange/white(common power) the other has black/yellow(ground) and orange/white(common power). I'm having trouble visualizing how the circuit should look after wiring in the dyna

Comment

Coil relay mod will help increase voltage at the coils. Don't think you can expect a fat spark with only 9 volts.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          Coil relay mod will help increase voltage at the coils. Don't think you can expect a fat spark with only 9 volts.
          He said the coil voltage was 12V. 9V was "turning", so there's got to be some sort of average of dwell/charge to that number.

Comment

Well, she starts! After a good while of spinning over it started up and went straight to 5k and bounces between 3k and 5k. I'm crossing my fingers its just all the fuel vapor that got dumped into the combustion chamber from spinning over so long but we will see tomorrow. Thank you guys so much and thank you mike_of_bgg! Anyone know of what can cause an incredibly high idle?

Comment

vacuum leaks are the #1 culprit for high idle. Bad intake boots, o-rings. missing carb sync caps or the vacuum line for the petcock leaking or not plugged off. Poorly adjusted throttle or a *very* bad sync.

Comment

Hmmm, I recently replaced the exhaust gaskets. Not sure if those could cause a vacuum leak or not. I'll double check everything tonight and get back with results.

*Edit: I also gave it throttle while it was hanging at 5k RPM's and it bogged down to 4k roughly.
                Last edited by Guest; 04-30-2015, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Ok guys, a little update:
                  Upon installing the Dyna ignition, spinning her over and having the engine scream at 5k RPM's idling she won't run now. It'll turn over, I still have good, consistent spark on all four plugs, fuel is getting to the combustion chamber and I have a range of 125psi-140psi across all four cylinders. Why won't it light off? What am I missing now?

Comment

Shawn, I've been lurking this site for many months, but registered today to let you know I appreciate this thread. I also picked up a cheap, 82 GS550L, and have been fighting trying to get it to run and be reliable. I've cleaned & synched the carbs, replaced all o-rings seals, stator & RR, plugs & wires, adjusted valves, etc. It ran great for a little while, then recently started having electrical problems as well (dies suddenly when warming up, and won't restart for hours; no charge voltage detected anymore). It sounds like I need to do the Dyna DS3-2 upgrade as well, and redo the stator papers (guessing R/R grounding issue and possibly bad battery).

Pete

Comment

Hello phanham! Welcome! I'm glad to hear someone else is working on a 550L. Just a thought on the warming up/dies problem, could it be resistance somewhere in the ignition system that is just within spec while cold but increases as it heats up? I highly recommend the Dyna upgrade. Like the guys said before me, start with the easiest and most obvious and work your way back (I've shot myself in the foot multiple times by not taking that advice :P). The GS550 is a good bike from what I've experienced and I kinda want to keep improving it if I'm honest. I am replacing the cylinder head now that I've found the bolt holes where the header bolts go are completely non-repairable. I will keep you posted as I progress and I welcome any insights you have from what you've found on your bike!

Comment

Working...
                      X