Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dyna ignition

Hello all
    I have a 1982 suzuki gs750 with some spark problems. I think the igniter may be bad so I bought a used one off eBay and still no spark. So here is my question I started looking at the dyna ignition it seems to be highly recommend for these bikes with this dyna ignition will it by pass the igniter is that how that works so I don't need one. Thanks mike

From what I've read and understand yes, it does bypass the igniter. I'm recently experiencing similar issues with my 550T.

The first thing you should really do is get a multimeter and test all the ignition points to pinpoint the problem. I still need to properly test my igniter and coils. I've already ruled out the signal generator and R/R. I cleaned my contact points real good with electrical connection cleaner and a brass bristle wire brush and made a little progress. But my spark is still intermittently weak.

If I really find I can't correct the issue with little effort then I'm definitely going Dyna.

The wiring on these bikes are old and also sometimes just need a little boost to the coils with a relay mod. Basscliff's website has pretty much everything we need to know. Check out his website and start reading.

I'm still learning myself here.

Comment

Before you drop some coin on the new Dyna, you need to determine whether your bike has a mechanical timing advance mechanism. If it does, GREAT. If not, you will need to locate one from an earlier bike.

Some time during the '82 model run, some of the bikes were converted to electronic advance that was contained in the ignitor. Not sure if the 750 was one of those bikes or not, but it's a simple matter to take off the right cover on the engine to see if you have an advance mechanism.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Before you drop some coin on the new Dyna, you need to determine whether your bike has a mechanical timing advance mechanism. If it does, GREAT. If not, you will need to locate one from an earlier bike.

Some time during the '82 model run, some of the bikes were converted to electronic advance that was contained in the ignitor. Not sure if the 750 was one of those bikes or not, but it's a simple matter to take off the right cover on the engine to see if you have an advance mechanism.

Hello I am not sure if it doesn't or not but I will look at it

Comment

you can use a Dyna-S. I had one on my 750 race motor. Might have a used on about if your interested.

Comment

Hey AKC75, where in Austin are you?

Comment

Originally posted by TeamNeal View Post
              Hey AKC75, where in Austin are you?
              Awesome! Another Austinite.. I'm south man down off Ben White and Banister.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyler View Post
                you can use a Dyna-S. I had one on my 750 race motor. Might have a used on about if your interested.
                I would be interested In used one if you got it

Comment

Originally posted by trucker View Post
                  I would be interested In used one if you got it
                  PM sent

Mods? seriously? 10 character minimum?

Comment

Working...
                  X