Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gear Indicator Backlight

1983 GS1100E
    So I got the 11e running today after having it sit since November. Going over it for the usual inspection sticker stuff I noticed that the gear indicator had no illumination whatsoever. All the other lights horn etc everything work fine. The indicator itself works fine. It just has no illumination. Is this correct or do I need to look for a blown bulb or? Thanks for the help.

If you open the gauge housing there is a little box with the LED gear indicator in it. It has a small solder in bulb.
    The stock gear indicator even when the bulb is not burned out is a bit difficult to see, over 50 and it is very hard day or night.
    I would strongly recommend getting one of these. You just epoxy it into position indie of the little box and connect the same wires as the old one. It is much brighter and virtual the same size numerals.

Comment

I have four (4) gear indicators that fit my 11e. All of them indicate the gear correctly, none of them are backlit. Almost impossible to see at night.

Annoys the heck out of me.
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Pos I bought 2 of those gear indicators you linked a long time ago for when I eventually swap to Trailtech Vapors on my 850 and her 750. I'll have to dig them out and give it a look.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
          I have four (4) gear indicators that fit my 11e. All of them indicate the gear correctly, none of them are backlit. Almost impossible to see at night.

Annoys the heck out of me.
          It is a very small bulb.

Comment

Working...
          X