79 GS550E Trouble Getting Started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 GS550E Trouble Getting Started

Hey guys, new to the GS resources, and new owner of a 1979 GS550e. The problem with the bike is, I have no neutral light, (the bike is able to shift into neutral and roll freely) The starter button does nothing, and I have no spark. I have a brand new battery in the bike. My question is, where should I start my troubleshooting, and what are the safety switches on my bike, and is that the reason for no spark and or the starter not functioning? any help would be much appreciated!

-Brandon

Are you pulling in the clutch while trying to hit the start button? oh ya, welcome to the site. Great bike you've got there, better post some pictures though
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Thanks man! I will work on it tomorrow, and take some pictures to post. I've tried pulling the clutch in, same effect.

Comment

If you don't have a Multimeter get one. A must have tool for these old bikes. Check all your points of ignition. Gets some electrical contact cleaner too and clean those contacts while your at it. And start reading up on Basscliffs website as there is tons of info and how to's on diagnosing issues.

I'm a newb myself. So I'm learning as well.

Comment

Good sir, it would behoove you to visit the link in my signature to Basscliff's Mega-Welcome and from there click through to all of the information we have on your bike including wiring diagrams, maintenance tutorials and full PDF factory service manuals. Spend a good chunk of time reading up on your bike and you will be richly rewarded with the prize of knowledge.

Welcome!
          Charles
          --
          1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Multimeter is an absolute must as a new 77 GS550 owner. Might want to check that coil to see if power is getting to it.

Comment

Working...
            X