Lights cut out when put in gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lights cut out when put in gear

Great a new problem on my 1977 GS550. When I turn the key while the bike is in neutral, all lights work (backlight of the speedo and tach, turn signals, headlight, etc.). As soon as I put it in first, the headlight and back lights cut out but gear indicator works. When I shift it into 2nd, the gear indicator shows an 8.

Side note: this is all while the bike is off. The tank is being professionally cleaned at the moment, so I am unsure whether or not she starts right now.

I I am basically looking for a starting point to check. I am armed with a multimeter, standing by.

Okay, so update:

in neutral, all lights are inop except the neutral light.

when put in 1st, all lights work to include the headlight and shift indicator.

When put on 2nd, all lights go out

when put in 3rd, all lights come back on but the shift indicator reads 8 and turn signals barely illuminate

Comment

Have you a manual? I'm afraid there's no escape from perusing a wiring diagram in this instance.
      http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/ and start following those colours.

Comment

No manual as of now. Need to fix that.

After looking over it more there's definitely a burning smell coming from the gear shift indicator. Must have been fried for some reason. Is there a way to remove that and just not have one? Or is it on to eBay and find a new one? I suspect that to be the issue. The bike still gets power, just cuts off all funky.

Comment

You can get the service manual at the same site linked above.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Disconnect shift indicator wiring and see if other things behave normally.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
              Disconnect shift indicator wiring and see if other things behave normally.
              When its disconnected I get nothing at all. There are two tires that tie into the instrument housing I assume. The rest go into the shift indicator.

Comment

And I'm a liar. Everything works seemingly with it disconnected....however my electric start isn't working. Investigating that using the wiring diagram.

Comment

Okay so tested another wiring harness I had for the starter and that starts the bike up....or at least turns it. So looks like I just need a new gear shift indicator. Problem solved-ish.

Comment

And problem solved. Looks like the shift indicator light panel was fried. Rdered a new one off eBay, hooked it up and works perfect again.

Comment

Check for overcharging. You should not get over 14.8 with the bike running at 5K.
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Turns out it wasn't grounded properly. Had a buddy look it over before i put the new one on.

Comment

Working...
                        X