Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

bullet connectors on wiring - are there special requirements ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bullet connectors on wiring - are there special requirements ?

Hi everyone.

I have a 1979 Suzuki gs850g.

I had to change out the petcock yesterday (I replaced the 36 year old OEM last year...and foolishly tried to force the aftermarket "comb" into a hole which was not the right size...then realized that the bolts would not line up, removed the new petcock and tore off the top of the filter comb so it was unfiltered to the petcock from the tank.)

So....on to yesterday...it seems a PO slightly stupider than the current owner tried to seal the bullet connector from the tank sensor to wiring bullet with a combination of broken rotted cheap electrical tape and (of all things) PAINTERS MASKING TAPE.

Since masking tape is COMPLETELY NOT WATERPROOF the bullet connector rusted together and then when I tried to disconnect one side SNAPPED OFF the wire.

So....obviously I need to repair the issue....is there anything I should watch for in replacing the bullet connector ?

Thanks

Sean

Originally posted by seanarthurmachado View Post
    Hi everyone.

I have a 1979 Suzuki gs850g.

I had to change out the petcock yesterday (I replaced the 36 year old OEM last year...and foolishly tried to force the aftermarket "comb" into a hole which was not the right size...then realized that the bolts would not line up, removed the new petcock and tore off the top of the filter comb so it was unfiltered to the petcock from the tank.)

So....on to yesterday...it seems a PO slightly stupider than the current owner tried to seal the bullet connector from the tank sensor to wiring bullet with a combination of broken rotted cheap electrical tape and (of all things) PAINTERS MASKING TAPE.

Since masking tape is COMPLETELY NOT WATERPROOF the bullet connector rusted together and then when I tried to disconnect one side SNAPPED OFF the wire.

So....obviously I need to repair the issue....is there anything I should watch for in replacing the bullet connector ?

Thanks

Sean
    Do NOT use them for high current applications or anything between the R/R and battery. For a fuel sensor they are fine.

Comment

Most here seem to like the spade type connectors, also I prefer to shrink tube over the spliced ends after the repair, many solder the connector/ wire then shrink tube for a good weatherproof seal.

Comment

Problem with bullet connectors is, they belong on 1950s British cars, where they should have stayed. You can only be sure of a bullet connector for five minutes after you've done it - any more than that, it's already starting to deteriorate. Even on 50s cars they were better, as the quality of them was actually quite good, if not perfect, but they were never intended for charging circuits, even back then.
        Having said that, I still have plenty of them dotted around various harnesses, but I will sooner or later get around to replacing them with something better. Only way to keep on top of them is adopt a regular routine of inspection, clean and tighten, once a year at least, perhaps twice, and most certainly before you embark on a long trip.
        ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
          Problem with bullet connectors is, they belong on 1950s British cars, where they should have stayed. You can only be sure of a bullet connector for five minutes after you've done it - any more than that, it's already starting to deteriorate. Even on 50s cars they were better, as the quality of them was actually quite good, if not perfect, but they were never intended for charging circuits, even back then.
          Having said that, I still have plenty of them dotted around various harnesses, but I will sooner or later get around to replacing them with something better. Only way to keep on top of them is adopt a regular routine of inspection, clean and tighten, once a year at least, perhaps twice, and most certainly before you embark on a long trip.
          I have been using the single bullet connectors from here on the SSPB Solenoid input (start for headlamp cutout). It does not carry any current and I solder the crimps. They are actually pretty good and in fact difficult to separate sometimes. An occasional spray of Deoxit will make them last plenty long. Again bullets should be replaced on the stator or anything between R/R and battery.

In fact I don't think there should be any connectors on the stator wires unless the crimps are soldered.

Comment

I use bullet connectors without worrying about it, but I also solder & shrink wrap pretty much everything, so I haven't had problems with them.

Comment

Not True, Again. Nothing wring with bullet terminals for any connection on a bike. Including the RR connections.
              1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
              1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
              X