Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DINA S doubts!!!

Hi to all of you!
    First of all, I must say, sorry for my english. I am uruguayan so it is not my first language. I am still lerning a bit about how to make a good use of the site

Now, I have decided to upgrade my gs 550 to an electonic ignition system.
    I have been invastigating a bit and foun out that the DINA S SISTEM is higly recomended .

Sorry for my ignorance but WHY IS IT THAT THIS SYSTEM DOES NOT NEED SPECIAL COILS MADE FORNELECTRONIC IGNITION?

I FOUND IN EBAY A DINA S KIT THAT CAMES WITH WIRES AND COILS INCLUDED.. .. ARE THEM THE SAME THAT THE ORIGINAL ONES??

DOES THIS SYSTEM PRODUCES BETTER AND MORE POWERFULL SPARK?

thanks a lot friends!!

The Dyna S system is designed to work with coils that have the same impedance as the original Suzuki coils. If your coils are in good condition they will work with the new Dyna trigger system. If you need new coils the Dyna coils are good units. The big improvement with the Dyna comes from having Hall Effect triggering for spark control replacing the old point system. The Dyna gives a much more consistent spark and will last a very long time. Ray
    "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
    GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
    1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
    1979 GS1000SN The new hope
    1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Thanks a lot!! please tell me how could I tell if mine needs an "ND" dina s unit or a "KD" unit ?

Comment

Another one.. WOULD IT BE BETTER TO GET AN E.I. THAT WORKS WITH ORIGINAL COILS LIKE THIS DINA S OR AN E.I. THAT WORKS WITH ELECTRONIC IGNITION ESPECIFIC COILS ?? WHICH IS THE DIFFERENCE?

THANKS A LOT!!!!!!!!!

Comment

If the ignition advancer under the points cover is stamped KD, use the KD version. If it is stamped ND, use the ND version. These were just different points assembly manufacturers.

Comment

I could not find the stamp under the points but the coils say "nipon denso"
            I will look again more carefully snyway thanks

Comment

.. Would it be better to get an e.i. That works with original coils like this dina s or an e.i. That works with electronic ignition especific coils ?? Which is the difference?

Thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!

Comment

To understand the difference between the coils, it helps to know how they work.

Coils have two sets of winding inside and work by using current flow (electricity) through the primary windings to build a magnetic field. When the current is stopped, the magnetic field collapses. When the field collapses, there is a pulse through the secondary windings. Since there are MANY more windings in the secondary circuit, the voltage will be higher. That is what goes to the spark plugs.

Points are used to control the flow of electricity through the coils. When they open, the magnetic field collapses and you get a spark. The strength of the magnetic field is related to how much electrical current is generating it. Points are somewhat limited in how much current they can handle, so the coils have a certain amount of internal resistance (measured in OHMS) to limit the current. Electronic ignition uses transistors to stop the current flow, and can handle more current. "Electronic ignition specific coils" have less resistance, which allows more current to flow. More current will provide a stronger magnetic field. A stronger magnetic field will give a stronger spark.

You can use your stock coils (assumng they still work) with your new electronic ignition system. You will gain the advantage of virtually NO maintenance, like cleaning and adjusting the points or replacing condensors. Your spark will be just as good as it is now, and will STAY that way, with no deterioration as there might be with aging points. If you change your coils, you can get some with less resistance that will also give you a better spark. You don't have to change the coils just because you eliminated the points.

The manual says that coils for bikes with points are typically in the 4-5 OHM range, coils for bikes with electronic ignition will have 3-4 OHMS. Not much difference in resistance, but it can increase the current from about 3 amps to about 5 amps, or a 50% increase.

To identify your points manufacturer (KD or ND), remove the cover on the right side of the engine. Look for the condensors, they will be small metal cans about 1.5cm in diameter and about 3cm long. With the Kokusan unit, you will only see the ends of the cans. With the Nippondenso unit, you will see two cylinders lying parallel.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by joyride View Post
                  I could not find the stamp under the points but the coils say "nipon denso"
                  I will look again more carefully snyway thanks
                  ND version...oh wait, I spoke too soon. I see you said it was stamped on the coil.
                  Last edited by Guest; 05-07-2015, 01:49 PM. Reason: misinterpreted post

Comment

Originally posted by GSCafe View Post
                    ND version...oh wait, I spoke too soon. I see you said it was stamped on the coil.
                    I think ALL the GS coils are ND, it's the points that might be ND or KD.

See the last part of post#8 for the easiest way to tell the difference.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thank you very very much guys !! Really you have helped me a lot!
                      I think I understood all you have explained to me and I'll try to make a good use of it!!!
                      So now I am sure I have the Kokusan unit installed.

Also I see now that the spark would be as good as my old one but much more reliable and this new mechanism will need no mantainance .
                      Afew good advantages I think!

Thanks again !!!

Comment

Working...
                      X