Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what would cause a traditional lead acid battery to go completely dry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what would cause a traditional lead acid battery to go completely dry?

Last year, I went cheap & bought a lead acid battery for my 1100GK.
    That battery is now completely dry! I have never seen a battery do that.
    I had it on the tender through the winter, & was surprised when it was dead this Spring.
    I've already got an AGM battery coming, but this has me curious for a cause.

Keeping it on a tender all winter can do that.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

mebbe your tender has gone bad?

Comment

Yes it is very likely the tender boiled it out by over charging. Put a voltmeter on the Tender to see where it operates. Probably need a better battery though.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          Keeping it on a tender all winter can do that.
          What I suggested, on his clone post.
          (Kinda doubting this guys tech skills)…

"Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Are you sure it's a battery tender and not a float charger? They are very different things. I have the wall-wart style battery tender and it works great but I only use it as a charger.
            Charles
            --
            1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

It's a battery "maintainer", with a "float" mode. Shouldn't that have maintained the battery right at full charge, preserving it?
              Oh yeah, sorry for the clone post, too.

Comment

Your dried up battery, is just one small lesson in vehicle maintenance.
                Don't call lead cell batteries cheap and blame them either.
                You just may fry out the more expensive battery, the same way.
                The pity is, they cost more but don't last any longer.
                Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 05-09-2015, 07:54 AM.
                "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Not forgetting a crack in the casing
                  97 R1100R
                  Previous
                  80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

A cracking would have had acid all over the frame. The battery was in the bike the whole winter. I took it out a couple od system ago. That's when I saw it was dry. My AGM battery just arrived.

Comment

Be sure to initialize the battery before installing it.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        Be sure to initialize the battery before installing it.

Initialize? I've never had to put my initials on my batteries, and I even loaned one out once.

My AGMSs I've just installed and used. I think they even came with enough charge on them to start the bike. What is this initializing?
                        Last edited by Dogma; 05-09-2015, 06:34 PM.
                        Dogma
                        --
                        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                        '80 GS850 GLT
                        '80 GS1000 GT
                        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Initialization = Activation. You only need to initialize batteries that are shipped dry. With some batteries they come shipped with a separate acid container. Those need to be filled and charged before use. Others are already filled and charged and those don't need any "initialization".

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

The first winter I had the Battery Tender, I did the same thing.....Left it on all winter and cooked the juice out. I refilled with distilled water and got, I think, 2 more seasons from it. I use it sparingly now. A few hours before a ride, or the night before if im going on a trip.
                            Another thing i noticed. With a full battery, it would take a long time to show 80% (hours). When the battery was low on water it showed 80% then full charge quickly. Dry charged i suppose?
                            sigpic
                            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                            -Rusty old scooter.
                            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                              Initialization = Activation. You only need to initialize batteries that are shipped dry. With some batteries they come shipped with a separate acid container. Those need to be filled and charged before use. Others are already filled and charged and those don't need any "initialization".
                              Ah, I thought that's what Steve meant, but it didn't make any sense in the context of the AGM battery the OP just received. I think now he meant to be silly, but the joke is lost on those of us who don't use the words "initialize" or "activation" to refer to "fill the battery". Both of those suggest to me connecting something to the Internet so the company that made it can give you permission to use the thing you just bought. Now, where can I find a 12V USB port to plug new batteries into?
                              Dogma
                              --
                              O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                              '80 GS850 GLT
                              '80 GS1000 GT
                              '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Working...
                              X