No voltage to coil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No voltage to coil

Ok, I need some help! I've got an 82 GS550LZ that was running like a champ a couple of weeks ago; however, it started to die suddenly when warming up. And now I can't get a spark at all. Coils have satisfactory resistance, but low voltage (9v) going to secondary, and can't get any reading for the primary. I've checked all connections, and did the "single point" ground at the R/R. I have not tried the coil relay mod. Any ideas? Also, how does this bike have mechanical timing and will a Dyna DS3-2 help? Thanks in advance for any help!

Some background - I've cleaned carbs correctly (completely disassembled, dipped, new Orings, vacuum synced, etc), new intake seals, adjusted valves, replaced stator and R/R (still having charging issues), new plugs/wires/caps, and probably a dozen other things I can't remember at the moment.
    Attached Files

Welcome from Fort Smith, I'm an old Razorback.
    The voltage at the o/w (orange white) should be close to battery with the other sides going up and gown as thf igniter saturates the coils then releases the current thereby releasing a spark. Check both coils as you rotate the engine. When high both sides of the coil will be the same. When charging the coil there should be over 10 volts across the coil.

you are probsbly dropping voltage and charging poorly.if you get it running do the quick test in my signature and report the results.

Comment

Check the mounting bolts for the coil. That is where it grounds to the frame. The engine has a ground wire that completes the circuit. Try running a wire temporarily from the coil mount to the engine block.
      You might need new high tension leads. I found solid wire core leads ( Accel ) and replaced mine. you can pull the leads out after removing the glue. I resealed mine with permatex 97 and it looked and worked original.
      If you still have low secondary output then maybe you need new coils. Heat affects coils and they may be degraded. Post in Parts Wanted fora pair, we all have spares.
      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
        Check the mounting bolts for the coil. That is where it grounds to the frame. The engine has a ground wire that completes the circuit. Try running a wire temporarily from the coil mount to the engine block.
        You might need new high tension leads. I found solid wire core leads ( Accel ) and replaced mine. you can pull the leads out after removing the glue. I resealed mine with permatex 97 and it looked and worked original.
        If you still have low secondary output then maybe you need new coils. Heat affects coils and they may be degraded. Post in Parts Wanted fora pair, we all have spares.
        If you coils is grounded it will not fire. NO GROUND.

Comment

Do you know how coils work?
          Take a look at any bike schematic and you'll see the secondary is grounded.
          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

I would say that he understands very very well how the coils work. The igniter provides the working ground for the primary. The plugs are fired when the ground is pulled, as done by the igniter, as directed by the signal generator.

And that's what I get for typing too quickly. The igniter provides the working ground for the primary, not the secondary.
            Last edited by Guest; 05-09-2015, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
              Do you know how coils work?
              Take a look at any bike schematic and you'll see the secondary is grounded.

With wasted spark both plugs fire simultaneously (but jump gap in opposite direction) with the path going through one coil secondary. So you have a series circuit consisting of:
              • Coil secondary
              • Two high tension leads for the wasted spark pair.
              • Two spark plugs
              • Head.

The coil secondary is only grounded is you consider the spark plug gap as a short.

Comment

Originally posted by phanham View Post
                Ok, I need some help! I've got an 82 GS550LZ that was running like a champ a couple of weeks ago; however, it started to die suddenly when warming up. And now I can't get a spark at all. Coils have satisfactory resistance
                Define satisfactory. Particularly the secondary. Thought I'd expect with new boots that it should be OK.

, but low voltage (9v) going to secondary
                What is your battery voltage? Typically it's nice to see <1V drop from battery to coils. If your battery is only putting out 10V right now that may be true. Also that igniter gets about the same voltage and might have trouble working if it's too low. Make sure your battery is well charged (using a <2A charger).

And that's your primary, not secondary. Secondary is between plugs 1-4 and 2-3.

, and can't get any reading for the primary.
                There shouldn't be any voltage at the secondary except a very high blip when the plugs fire - and you don't want to have a multitester hooked up when that happens!

I've checked all connections, and did the "single point" ground at the R/R. I have not tried the coil relay mod. Any ideas? Also, how does this bike have mechanical timing and will a Dyna DS3-2 help? Thanks in advance for any help!

Some background - I've cleaned carbs correctly (completely disassembled, dipped, new Orings, vacuum synced, etc), new intake seals, adjusted valves, replaced stator and R/R (still having charging issues), new plugs/wires/caps, and probably a dozen other things I can't remember at the moment.
                What are your charging problems? Too much V? That can kill an igniter! I remember one member went through two $400 brand new Suzuki igniters on his twin due to charging issues. But of course it helps to have a running bike to troubleshoot charging issues, too. Coil relay mod will help reduce the voltage loss between battery and coils. DS3-2 is a great choice for your bike if you determine or decide your igniter or sig gen is dead. Pricey troubleshooting step if your igniter isn't dead.

Comment

I don't remember exact resistance in coils, but was well within tolerances. Battery voltage is solid 12v. I tested voltage going to coils with probes on connections to coils, and turned key /switch on. Not sure if that is 100% correct or not. As for charging problems, it was non-existent when running. Stator resistance and voltage good, R/R seemed to check good, but no battery charging detected. That's why I did the single point ground mod, granted it was after it decided to stop running at all.

Comment

Btw, no glued leads to coils on this model. Wires go into coils.

Comment

OK, sounds like you might have aftermarket coils then.

3V drop from battery to coils is way too much. Either figure out and correct where you're dropping voltage or it's time for the coil relay mod.

What did you put in for a new R/R? New Stator is testing OK?

Comment

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
                        OK, sounds like you might have aftermarket coils then.

3V drop from battery to coils is way too much. Either figure out and correct where you're dropping voltage or it's time for the coil relay mod.

What did you put in for a new R/R? New Stator is testing OK?
                        Coils look pretty old /original, do you really think they are aftermarket? Stator and R/R are probably cheap Chinese parts (I didn't know about GSResources at the time).

I will try to find time soon to do the coil relay mod, but wondering if this bike has mechanical advance for the Dyna mod.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Primary coil
                          Attached Files

Comment

Secondary coil
                            20150510_105052.jpg

Comment

Dyna DS3-2 candidate?
                              20150510_105708.jpg

Comment

Working...