Polaris SH-775 R/R for 1979 GS1000?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polaris SH-775 R/R for 1979 GS1000?

I've seen countless references to the Polaris SH-775 Regulator/Rectifier as a replacement option for the dodgy OEM unit. Looking at wiring diagrams, photos, and posts, they appear to all point to a combination R/R.

My 1979 GS1000 is different - it has a separate rectifier and regulator.

Firstly, are the early (prior to 1980) rectifiers and regulators as prone to failure as the later combination units?
    Secondly is there a sound alternative like the SH-775, or is it a case of replacing failed items with OEM or replica components?

I haven't got fried electrics yet, but I figure it's a matter of time. Being armed with knowledge up front will be a benefit.

Thanks in advance.
    2016 BMW F700GS - everyday ride
    1979 GS1000SN - resto project, recently gone
    1987 Honda GB400TT - latest resto project

The SH-775 would replace both your rectifier and regulator. It helps keep your stator from working harder than necessary.It's a good upgrade but I understand it might be expensive getting one where you live.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Any regulator you might install on a GS is likely to fail to charge the bike correctly if it is trying to work through dirty connections and grounds. (The increased resistances confuse the regulating circuitry.) The first advantage of the series R/R like the SH-775 is that it won't destroy itself and the stator in the process the way any stock GS system will. With a series regulator, just fix the wiring problems and you're back in business. Cheaper than a new R/R is to add a voltmeter so you can monitor the charging system when you ride. If the voltage starts doing something unusual, you know it's time to go hunting corroded connectors and bad grounds. Protect all of those by cleaning them and adding dielectric grease, and you're less likely to have a failure. The series regulator is insurance against your maintenance failing to keep things working.

The second benefit is this: With a stock regulator, extended periods at elevated RPM (highway cruising, even) tend to cause overheating in the stator leading to eventual failure anyway. Because of the way a series R/R does the regulation, this cannot happen.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Thanks Dogma.

I've taken all earth connections back to bright metal and repaired 35 years of dodgy repairs as I came across them. All other connections have been cleaned as I work my way through the wiring loom.
        A small weatherproof digital voltmeter is also mounted on the dash pad. I'll be interested to see what is tells me once I get the bike running again.
        2016 BMW F700GS - everyday ride
        1979 GS1000SN - resto project, recently gone
        1987 Honda GB400TT - latest resto project

Comment

Originally posted by sealpup View Post
          Thanks Dogma.

I've taken all earth connections back to bright metal and repaired 35 years of dodgy repairs as I came across them. All other connections have been cleaned as I work my way through the wiring loom.
          A small weatherproof digital voltmeter is also mounted on the dash pad. I'll be interested to see what is tells me once I get the bike running again.

See GS Charging Health in my signature.

Comment

Working...
          X