Installing the dyna s ignition still 2 and 3 plugs not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing the dyna s ignition still 2 and 3 plugs not working

okay so I just installed the dyna s ignition and I have spark on all 4 but the 2 and 3 cylinder don't seem to be working the exhaust is cold. Any reason why could that be the timing be off I have no idea were the timing marks are. thank

could be that you have change the position of the 2-3 coil trigger on the dyna plate,.. did you time the ignition like the dynatek manual says?

i had to change the no 2-3 coil trigger .. it was timed a little to late from the factory.

Comment

Originally posted by GS-cafe View Post
      could be that you have change the position of the 2-3 coil trigger on the dyna plate,.. did you time the ignition like the dynatek manual says?

i had to change the no 2-3 coil trigger .. it was timed a little to late from the factory.
      ok so now I am trying to set the timing and now I have no spark in 2 & 3 plugs for some reason i even tried put on a different coil and no spark.

Comment

A helpful tip. Always put what bike you are working on in your first sentence. If you had spark when you first put it together and now you don't you must have messed up the timing or something, it was working.
        Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Sorry 1983 suzuki gs750. long story short I did not have spark before and I figured the igniter was bad so I picked a dyna s had little spark but still ran like crap. so I pulled the wiring harness to replace all the junk wire including the wires to the coils then put back together. and still little spark so tried to adjust the timing then there was no spark could I have screwed it up that bad

Comment

Originally posted by trucker View Post
            Sorry 1983 suzuki gs750. long story short I did not have spark before and I figured the igniter was bad so I picked a dyna s had little spark but still ran like crap. so I pulled the wiring harness to replace all the junk wire including the wires to the coils then put back together. and still little spark so tried to adjust the timing then there was no spark could I have screwed it up that bad
            I can't even get the timing light to flash when engine is turning I can on cylinder 1 and 4 but not 2 and 3

Comment

Did you verify you have 12V at the 2/3 coil?
              http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
              1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
              1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
              1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                Did you verify you have 12V at the 2/3 coil?
                I put the meter on the black and orange wire with key on and got 8.8 and on the 1 and 4 coil I also got 8.8

Comment

What are your coil primary and secondary impedances? What's your voltage at the coils (O/W wire)?

Did you start with a mechanical advance or did you retro-fit one? Fiches say that 83 750 E and ES models had no mechanical advance, Katana and T models did.

Comment

Originally posted by trucker View Post
                    I put the meter on the black and orange wire with key on and got 8.8 and on the 1 and 4 coil I also got 8.8
                    What was your battery voltage when you did that? 8.8V is awfully low, but is that because of loss in the wiring or a low battery from cranking?

Comment

I also did what the instructions said for the dyna s it said to switch the black and white wire to see if I get spark and I did not

Comment

May be a bad coil too. Check the secondary impedance between the plug caps. For a stock coil should be 12-15k IIRC, plus 5k*2 for NGK plug caps or 10K*2 for stock. So like ~34k for stock coil with stock plug caps. I think - it's been a while. Anyway, the resistors in the plug caps can burn up and jack the resistance way up.

Comment

An electronic ignition will not operate at those voltages. Try a temporary jumper from your battery "+" to the coils and make sure your Dyna-S gets the same voltage and see what you get. If it works, clean up your voltage drop problem. I suspect It is not a problem with the Dyna-S if you followed directions but a dirty switch and connector problem causing a voltage threshold below the ignition's capabilities.
                          http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
                            May be a bad coil too. Check the secondary impedance between the plug caps. For a stock coil should be 12-15k IIRC, plus 5k*2 for NGK plug caps or 10K*2 for stock. So like ~34k for stock coil with stock plug caps. I think - it's been a while. Anyway, the resistors in the plug caps can burn up and jack the resistance way up.
                            I checked that in all 6 coil packs I have laying around including the working 1 on the bike and I get no reading from any of them

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
                              An electronic ignition will not operate at those voltages. Try a temporary jumper from your battery "+" to the coils and make sure your Dyna-S gets the same voltage and see what you get. If it works, clean up your voltage drop problem. I suspect It is not a problem with the Dyna-S if you followed directions but a dirty switch and connector problem causing a voltage threshold below the ignition's capabilities.
                              So your saying run a wire directly from the battery to the coil and also run it the dyna s red wire

Comment

Working...
                              X