82 650E stator RR question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 650E stator RR question

I have joined the fried stator club. I have a 82 GS650E that stopped charging last night on my way home, I have a volt meter and watched it drop. I read the stator papers and did the tests. I removed the stator and 4 of the coils are crispy black.
    I think I am going to buy a Ricks stator, unless someone convinces me otherwise. My question is with the RR. Ricks makes one but it is a factory replacement. I am thinking using an sh775 or mosfet is a better way. As I understand it the sh775 is direct wired to the battery. What do I do with the red "headlight" wire? Can I just tape it up and disregard it? Should I use the mosfet or the more expensive sg775?Where should i mount it? Im thinking behind the seat under the taillight cowl. Or should I use Ricks OE style unit with my original wire harnesses?
    I am looking at the kits at roadstercycle.com and they look very complete. Probably not the cheapest way out but maybe the easiest? Has anyone used them?
    Thank you.
    Last edited by Guest; 05-15-2015, 10:45 PM.

For what Rick's would charge for the stator ($140+shipping) and what roadstercycle charges for the SH775 kit (just over $150, including shipping), I could just about bring you one of my rebuilt stators and an SH775 and do a custom install.

I charge $85, including shipping, you can get the R/R for about $80, including shipping, which is a total of less than $170, instead of the almost $300 you would pay the other guys.

I started a thread some time ago to compare prices at some of the vendors, click HERE to see it.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I bought the roadstercycles kit and the Electrosport ESG014 stator for her 750L when she fried her stator. The stator is rated for more output than stock and per our own Posplayr it is mandatory to run a series types regulator. I went with the roadstercycles kit simply because I was lazy and didn't want to build everything out myself. It could have been done cheaper in the end but I opted for quick and painless. I'd probably do so again just because I've had rotten luck trying to find decent prices on the SH775 even used.

Edit: Nevermind I'm an idiot that can't search eBay to save my life at times. You get nada if you search SH775 but if you look for the Polaris part # you get this.
      Get the best deals for Polaris 4012941 at eBay.com. We have a great online selection at the lowest prices with Fast & Free shipping on many items!

Your bike would use the Electrosport ESG014 as well. Just remember again that a series regulator will be a must prerequisite beforehand. A shunt style regulator will murder the stator otherwise with heat.
      Last edited by Guest; 05-15-2015, 11:51 PM.

Comment

"I have joined the fried stator club. "
        Welcome- what took so long? I joined years ago, smoked two and opted for the SH-775 and now just enjoy riding with much reduced chance of charging issues. Here's mine under the rear tank support....
        Attached Files
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

What prompted you to move all your electrics up to under the seat Tom? It seems like that would complicate battery removal/charging if it were needed. I like the idea on mounting the regulator where you did though.

Comment

Nice idea of where to mount that. I used the original holes.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowFocus603 View Post
              What prompted you to move all your electrics up to under the seat Tom? It seems like that would complicate battery removal/charging if it were needed. I like the idea on mounting the regulator where you did though.
              I've yet to see a gs650e, but apparently, airfilter box setup is different. I access my filter thru right side and battery thru left with no problem. I wanted to mount the SH-775 somewhere to keep a eye on connections- it was a new gizmo to me and I'm the suspicious type.
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Looked at my E it would not fit there. I think it would fit in the original spot but I am still thinking about the taillight cowl.

Comment

Originally posted by shakeybone View Post
                  Looked at my E it would not fit there. I think it would fit in the original spot but I am still thinking about the taillight cowl.
                  You do not want too much wire between the R/R and the battery. 1 ft going and coming is best. If you go 4ft then you need quite a bit larger wire to compensate completely.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowFocus603 View Post
                    You get nada if you search SH775 but if you look for the Polaris part # you get this.
                    Get the best deals for Polaris 4012941 at eBay.com. We have a great online selection at the lowest prices with Fast & Free shipping on many items!
                    Careful. Most of the listings are cunningly worded to seem to be Polaris reg-recs. They're not; they are actually cheapo Shenzhen / Guano MOSFET shunt clones. The sellers are crafty sods; they know people will now search for the Polaris numbers, so they keyword-salt their listings.
                    Despicable behaviour, in my view.

In a nutshell, treat any listing that doesn't show the end of the reg-rec and clearly shows the SH-775 marking as a potential fraud.
                    Last edited by Grimly; 05-17-2015, 05:25 PM.
                    ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                      You do not want too much wire between the R/R and the battery. 1 ft going and coming is best. If you go 4ft then you need quite a bit larger wire to compensate completely.
                      The roadstercycle kit has 3 feet of 10 gauge cable do you think that would be OK? 3 feet would be enough for me.

Comment

Working...
                      X