how to tell if its my ignition coil or somethin else

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to tell if its my ignition coil or somethin else

How can i tell or what are some good signs my ignition coil is goin out on my 83 suzuki gs550l?? Or what else couuld give signs of bad ignition coil??

Ignition coils are pretty durable, but check the ohms on both primary and secondary - see step 10 in this link

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

What are the problems you're having? Might try pulling plugs one at a time and check for good fat spark. If you haven't done so go to Basscliff's site and down load a manual for your bike, should have tests for coils and ignitior in it. If you haven't cleaned all the electrical connections, should do that, may not solve problems now but could avoid others down the road.

Comment

Worth checking that your coils have good energy supply - when it started running rough i found the input signal so weak i had to run another wire from the battery - that sorted it - i've no idea yet where the exact problem is but somewhere the current was being lost and that was easier than stripping the loom for inspection!

That fix was years ago - I won't hijack the thread by adding that i lately have a short or something which takes about a week to kill a battery.
        So I have to get stuck into those wires - i'm dreading it.
        Last edited by Guest; 05-16-2015, 09:36 AM. Reason: clarify that the new wire didn't directly kill my battery

Comment

Well had a lil trouble starting&then once it did start ran fine for lil bit then started to want to rev up on its own sometimes when pulling in clutch then other times pullin it in the bike would stall out then start back up&other times wouldnt.. then if shut it off after riding for min&let sit for say a lil over a hour in a half or so it wouldnt want to start or be pain in ass to start!!

Comment

While pulling the plugs to check for a "good fat spark" you might also want to check the condition of the plugs themselves. Are they black? Wet? White? Might give you a clue as to whether we're dealing with an ignition or carb issue. FWIW later 550's are know to have igniter module issues.
            http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
            1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

That's very similar to what I was experiencing. Look for the 'no voltage to coils' thread. I verified coil resistance and did the coil relay mod, but didn't help. I think my ignitor may have died, so have a Dyna ignition on order.

Comment

So i pulled plugs today an it seem im gettin no spark from any of em!! So has to be something electrical.. plz someone help or explain.. not very mechanically inclined or have a fortune of money to take it to the shop

Comment

Working...
                X