78 US import in the UK R/R Quiz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 US import in the UK R/R Quiz

I have started a rebuild thread, but I am struggling to get the info for renewing/upgrading my R/R. The only supplier I can find for the polaris 775 unit on UK ebay is Spanish and that is only going on the part no. and it doesn't mention it being a Shendengen.
    There is also mention of a bit of rewiring ditching the loop up to the headlight, is this referring to the third generator output to the lighting switch.
    I have read the stator pages and used the quick test, my rectifier is open circuit but the stator tests OK, and there is lots about the benefits of the Polaris R/R but is there a wiring guide/ how to I am missing.
    I was considering a Honda R/R but some of the links I try are no longer available.
    Can someone point me in the right direction.
    Thanks, Ryan UK

The Polaris part number should be sufficient.

The "rewiring" is simply connecting the three stator wires directly to the three R/R input wires. Any connections bypassed in the proccess (the headlight loop) are simply ignored.

You can use a Honda R/R if you wish, but it will still shunt any excess, just like a Suzuki R/R. The only difference is if it has a sixth wire, that is a "sense" wire to adjust the output slightly, but it still shunts any excess. It's the 'shunting' part that burns up the stators.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I just used the Polaris number on your eBay and got that. Hope it helps. I'd contact sellers and ask for a pic of the top edge of the regulator if they don't show one so you can make damn sure what you are getting. The top edge shows the part number and should say SH-775.
      Last edited by Guest; 05-18-2015, 04:17 PM.

Comment

You saw and did the quick test...did you see this link?

look for a Polaris ATV dealer somewhere in EU - It will be pricey but it's a wise investment.

edit: I'd be real leery of anything from China regarding the SH-775. Be skeptical of anything without a pic of Polaris part number stamped on r/r. Knockoffs are coming!
        Last edited by tom203; 05-18-2015, 04:24 PM.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thankyou very much kind sirs !
          Is there a description I should be looking for wiring connectors in order to connect it to my loom as I notice the units you linked to have no tails or can I just push individual female spades onto what looks like male on the R/R. Are the outputs marked as to what is what, live ground etc
          Thankyou again.

Comment

Tom203, yep did the quick test and read that thread, its finding a genuine Polaris one that I am sceptical about none on that ebay link look right to me, one is the Spanish outfit and there is no mention of either Shendengen or Polaris, for fifty quid it may well be fine I am not intending extended use, but I may as well do it once and do it right and if that means holding fire 'til I get some proper guidance then so be it.
            I am still a month or two away from being on the road, but I don't want to be pushin '

Comment

You're looking for an R/R for a Polaris RZR 800 from 2011. Go to any Polaris dealer and ask for part number: 4012941.

Here's a UK dealer to get you started:

http://www.atvworld.com/
              http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
              1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
              1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
              1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Wiring is like this- three yellows connect to stator, red positive and black negative (ground)
                Attached Files
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks all, you have been fantastic. All great replies and all helpful and relevant.
                  Is there any US suppliers that will ship to the UK as Polaris ATV genuine parts I am pretty sure will be minty priced here, I think the pound is strong against the dollar and I bought and had the carb kits shipped to the UK far cheaper than I could buy them here, as long as its not something bulky like an exhaust then shipping can be quite reasonable.
                  Thankyou all for your time and interest, I am in the very least better informed than I was an hour ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbell View Post
                    Thanks all, you have been fantastic. All great replies and all helpful and relevant.
                    Is there any US suppliers that will ship to the UK as Polaris ATV genuine parts I am pretty sure will be minty priced here, I think the pound is strong against the dollar and I bought and had the carb kits shipped to the UK far cheaper than I could buy them here, as long as its not something bulky like an exhaust then shipping can be quite reasonable.
                    Thankyou all for your time and interest, I am in the very least better informed than I was an hour ago.

An hour and 4 minutes!!! We can do better than that
                    sigpic
                    83 GS1100g
                    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Visit the Polaris website, head to Canada and you will see this typical dealer's website for parts finder for a particular ATV that uses the SH-775. A Canadian dealer might be more understanding of shipping your way. Probably, any dealer would likely have to order from Polaris warehouse .

1981 gs650L

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        The Polaris part number should be sufficient.

The "rewiring" is simply connecting the three stator wires directly to the three R/R input wires. Any connections bypassed in the proccess (the headlight loop) are simply ignored.

You can use a Honda R/R if you wish, but it will still shunt any excess, just like a Suzuki R/R. The only difference is if it has a sixth wire, that is a "sense" wire to adjust the output slightly, but it still shunts any excess. It's the 'shunting' part that burns up the stators.

Steve to be fair the honda r/r has by far the best track record of any other shunt r/r.the record is not perfect but much better than one would expect.

Comment

That would work out at £69 sterling plus any tax plus shipping so I need to contact them and see what it would add up to, also find a UK dealer and price one here.
                          If I was to go with a Honda R/R short term to get me going in the meantime which one would I look out for, I want to shake the bike down this summer and see if there is any glaring short comings with it.
                          I am mindful of the great deal of time and effort many of you have put into this subject, and am aware I am showing up with ' What do I fit, how do I fit it and where do I get it cheap! ' sorry guys! , I just want another GS back on the road, not passed about between owners, never really getting sorted. I want to turn it into a bike that can be fired up and used.
                          Cheers.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the exact model number of the honda unit is in "gs stator" link in my signature. See option #4 on the list.
                            Last edited by posplayr; 05-19-2015, 12:26 PM.

Comment

The more I read the more I am coming round to the fact that not going with the Sh775 is a bad idea, I've got to change it anyway so I may as well do it right first time even if it means spending more initially.
                              Just need to track one down. Theres plenty at reasonable money in the US so it may be worth contacting one of them and seeing if they would ship to the UK direct.

Comment

Working...
                              X