No announcement yet.

78 US import in the UK R/R Quiz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 wheelpros will ship internationally I have just found out, via another company, International Checkout, so I will do the checkout bit and see what the total is before I commit and pay, I may have to wait till the end of the month as I need to pay my spray man tonight for another project !

Comment

You might want to try Babbitsonline:

Shop online for OEM Electrical, Wire Harness All Options parts that fit your 2011 Polaris RZR 800 EFI/EPS ALL OPTIONS (R11VH76/VY76), search all our OEM Parts or call at (231)737-4542

It's item number 8 and they say they ship world wide.
      http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
      1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Roadstercycle are coming out best at the moment, 139 USD ( £89 Sterling) inc the connector kit and shipping to the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbell View Post
          Roadstercycle are coming out best at the moment, 139 USD ( £89 Sterling) inc the connector kit and shipping to the UK.
          Even if the best price, you do not want to use that direct battery connection without modification.

You can just use spades and RTV to fill the shroud. It will be much smaller. You can even solder the spades directly to the pins., just don't get it too hot. With a good soldering iron (50W ) you can get it hot quickly and no damage the R/R. Even if you buy the connectors, you should flow solder into all crimps as they will corrode and heat things up.

I just looked at ebay:

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for REGOLATORE DI TENSIONE YAMAHA R1 TECNOLOGIA SH775 per Polaris Ranger Crew at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!
          Last edited by posplayr; 05-19-2015, 07:16 PM.

Comment

You've lost me .....? direct battery connection without modification?
            I understand the not using the connectors as this makes the unit longer and harder to mount so I will forget them and just go with spades.
            The Italian ebay units look good and also there is no import duty so they are now favourite, thanks.
            New front tyre came today as well as headbearings , waiting on pads , so I think I have spent up for this month!

Comment

You've lost me .....? direct battery connection without modification?
              I understand the not using the connectors as this makes the unit longer and harder to mount so I will forget them and just go with spades.
              The Italian ebay units look good and also there is no import duty so they are now favourite, thanks.
              New front tyre came today as well as headbearings , waiting on pads , so I think I have spent up for this month!
              If you follow the connection instructions in GS Charging Health then you would not use the harness provided by RoadsterCycle; It connects direct to the battery.

Comment

Sorry it was only the connectors I was thinking of buying, not the loom, now I have decided to go with the SH775, I will have to wait until I have got paid and see what has to go out and whats left for toys.....this wasn't in the budget, but I think its important enough to spend the extra for piece of mind.

Comment

Right, Gs back in one piece just about everything sorted just charging system to rectify ( no pun intended! )

If Mr Posplayr would be so kind as to cast his eye other these, I think it's fair to say I'm looking at a complete overhaul......

Basic test results...

Bench charged battery, fitted to bike and left 24hrs = 12.7V

Lights and Ign on = 11.8

Idle = 13.1

2.5k = 15.2

5k = 15.3

Everything off = 13.4v but 12.8v after ten minutes

Stator checks...

Between legs 0.9ohms apart from one 0.8ohms

leg to ground all open circuit

Between legs at 5k all combos 80v Ac

leg to ground all combos nearly 40v Ac

I had a big drop from batt voltage to the headlight loom of nearly a volt which I traced to the main fuse holder, and after that I went round and acid dipped all the connectors and washed/switch cleaned/WD40/petroleum jellied them all.
                  I have also ditched the headlight swith third leg and made a common ground.
                  The rectifier is open all ways and the battery is bubbling after the above basic test running time, i.e no more than 5-10 mins.
                  So I think it is safe to assume it's all trashed!
                  Partzilla is listing the SH775 on ebay and ships to the UK, you have to pay about $45 extra in charges and posting so that's not too bad, but I am not sure what to do with the stator a DIY rewind is attractive but if I can buy a known and recommended than I will probably go that way.

Any comments or advice gratefully needed.

Ryan

Comment

Your stator looks good, but your battery has been tortured, so there's too much drop with just lights and ignition on.
                    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I thought the stator shouldn't show any AC leg to ground?

Comment

I thought the stator shouldn't show any AC leg to ground?
                        Oops, you are correct
                        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Ryan reading your numbers you are charging . But I also suspect you have original equipment r/r as it is over charging 0.75 v but within oem tolerances. For modern electronics like s775 it would be too high.

Yes the leg to ground tests indicate problem; either you did the measurement wrong or the stator is grounded at the neutral of a wye winding. You are the second person in ax many weeks that had the same measurement. I will need to think a bit more on it. Since your DC leg to leg tests show open one would tend go think as per design the stator is not grounded. However it is possible for the stator to be grounded at the center of the wye and still operate perfectly well. So the only question is why is it shorting at all?

Comment

Thanks for answers, but why is rectifier open all ways, I thought I should be seeing resistance between the legs, think I need to re read the checks for the rectifier and do the tests for that again.
                            R/R is OE with separate reg unit.
                            Am I safe to go with a Sh775 with my stator?

Comment

Your running test with 40 ac from stator leg to ground indicates that one of the stator windings or their common connection is not insulated adequately. Don't forget this is a no load test, when stator actually produces current, there are magnetic forces tugging on wires, plus the stator runs really hot- more current could be diverted to ground leading to more heat buildup. The SH-775 probably wouldn't be hurt by this situation, but it won't be doing its intended job since it can't "control" any ground leakage internal to stator.
                              I ran my previous stator (with a shunt r/r) for about 25 hours in this condition. It produced enough juice to keep my battery at 13.5 volts but was clearly suffering.
                              1981 gs650L

Comment

I'm 90% sure that's a fake.
                                ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                                X