No announcement yet.

Help w/1998 Triumph Legend-Not mine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It all sounds like a bad battery to me but if the shop says it's good? I would swap it out or jump it just to rule that out.

If not the battery, then the connection on the battery terminals. Measure the voltage at the battery and see what it drops to when the starter is applied.

Having a 885 triple I know they depend on having a really good battery in really good shape.
    The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

Success in Portland. Here the the gist of the email Colin sent me.

"As most of America suspected, it was 'user error' and somewhat embarrassing. On the negative terminal of the battery, I have three wires that stack between the terminal and the tightening bolt. They were simply in the wrong order it seems b/c I just swapped them around a few times which led to the bike starting right up. Turned out to be a very simple but unexpected solution at least from my angle. Did not know that the wires needed to be stacked in a specific order and I don't recall reading that anywhere in the Haynes manual."

Wish I had figured it out, I never had that symptom on any of my bikes so it didn't ring a bell. Other than having the main leads sitting directly on the battery terminals I don't know that any other leads need to be in a particular order. But with several leads I am thinking he may have not had them sitting flat and probably used a screwdriver rather than a wrench so it may have felt tight. Who knows I wasn't there. Colin sheepishly asked me to send thanks to all. He sort of had a similar event about 5 years back when he installed a battery in his car.

Your guidance and wisdom are appreciated.

DH

Comment

Working...
      X