Wiring in Digital Speedometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curtie94 View Post
    I can't get any zener's local so I ordered some 5v ones off ebay. should get them in a few days. should I wire one in once I get them?

The only thing with the round speedometer is the gas gauge doesn't work. Is there anything I have to do to get the gas gauge to work?

The zener would be the best; it clamps the maximum voltage that otherwise would be 10 times that.

No idea on the fuel gauge; did you get instructions?

I see the gas gauge, but the add makes no mention of it in the features. I have no idea how they would insure this gauge works with any sender? Perhaps just a voltage divider. How did you hook it up?
    Last edited by posplayr; 05-25-2015, 08:07 PM.

Comment

It didn't come with instructions.

I just hooked up the yellow wire from the sender.

I messaged the guy on eBay to see a about instructions.

Comment

Well I guess I don't have to worry about the fuel gauge because tonight the whole cluster went out. It started by the blinkers not working then it went out.

So unless its something stupid I guess I'll either put the other one back on or find another one.

Do you recommend any clusters?

Comment

Originally posted by curtie94 View Post

Do you recommend any clusters?
          Acewell or Koso.

Sometimes you get what you pay for.
          Current:
          Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
          VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
          And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
            Sometimes you get what you pay for.
            Usually the case, no doubt...I've been tempted by these cheap clusters (ooooh digital and LED backlighting) before and this adds further doubt as to the quality of them. I'd love a digital gas gauge too, IF it were reliable and yes, a gear indicator would be nice too.

Are you sure it was wired in correctly and not going over (or under) voltage? If you get a new one I'd strongly suggest waiting until you get your zeners in to re-connect it. Posplayr knows best. It sounds like it may have cooked.
            ----------------------------------------------------------------
            2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Originally posted by mikerophone View Post
              Usually the case, no doubt...I've been tempted by these cheap clusters (ooooh digital and LED backlighting) before and this adds further doubt as to the quality of them. I'd love a digital gas gauge too, IF it were reliable and yes, a gear indicator would be nice too.

Are you sure it was wired in correctly and not going over (or under) voltage? If you get a new one I'd strongly suggest waiting until you get your zeners in to re-connect it. Posplayr knows best. It sounds like it may have cooked.
              I buy a lot of inexpensive items from China off of ebay to open them up and see how they are put together. Generally the stuff is usable if you really have a use for it. The main problems I see are ultra thin wires, which in reality are probably properly sized electrically but just don't have the mechanical strength of larger wires. I also open them up to inspect the workmanship and see if there is anything "just hanging on". Most stuff seems to have a QC stamp and was tested or inspected going out the door (but no guarantees as to what it really means).

If it was working and then not working, check for a fuse and any other power connections. You have to be careful when wiring this stuff up so that you don't inadvertently short out wires. It might be that a power wire broke off from the internal PC board.

Email the vendor, although they will probably want you to ship it back to China for a refund.

About the Zener, the RPM input should have some protection to start with and why it needs more I don't know. So my point is while the zener should make the RPM more accurate, I would doubt that the device would be damaged if you did not have it installed.

Comment

Working...
              X