multi-spark-plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

multi-spark-plugs

Hello everyone, some of you have ever tried this? your impressions?

Brisk premium multi-spark

Brisk, Spark plugs, racing spark plugs, iridium spark plugs, platinum spark plugs, silver spark plugs, lgs spark plugs, evo spark plugs, performance, plasma spark plugs, best spark plugs, NGK, ignition, auto spark plugs, turbo spark plugs, nitrous spark plugs, super charger spark plugs, surface discharge, multi spark
    Ciao dall'Italia!

GS1000G 1980

I don't know that anyone has tried those particular plugs, but the general concensus here is that the stock NGK B8ES (or D8EA) plugs work just fine.

I looked at the link, seems that most of those plugs range from about $8 to $18 each. I can get a set of B8ES plugs for just over $8.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I feel reluctant to buy anything for my vintage Japanese motorcycle that the SPEED Channel endorses. I would have to see some dyno test results that aren't done by the company selling these plugs before I pull the trigger on buying them.

Comment

Looks like BS! How does it produce 3 sparks for every time the igniter fires the plug? The igniter only fires the plug once, period.

It must have a capacitor built in that stores the initial spark signal and then releases the stored energy at 2 different pulses. So the initial spark would be less energy than the original style plugs.
        1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
        1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Originally posted by Fjbj40 View Post
          Looks like BS! How does it produce 3 sparks for every time the igniter fires the plug? The igniter only fires the plug once, period.
          Actually, NO, it doesn't.

To understand how the "ignitor" works, let's go back to the eariler systems that use points.

When the points are closed, electrical current flows from the battery, through the coil, through the points and back to the battery. The wire inside the coil is wrapped around an iron core, which sets up a magnetic field. When the points open, that magnetic field collapses, which induces an opposing current in the core. Since the circuit is open, it has nowhere to go, but there is another set of windings around the core that has over a thousand times as many windings and it will produce several tens of thousands of volts which are directed to the spark plugs.

The "ignitor" is only a set of transistors that replace the points. That's all. Nothing more. Nothing "magical". The "ignitor" does not "ignite" anything, it only interrupts current flow through the coil, just like the points. It's advantages are that they can handle more current (stronger magnetic field, bigger sparks), they can start current flow sooner to build up the magnetic field (points have to follow the cam back down to their closed position) and there are no moving parts to wear out or adjust. The disadvantage is that there is basically no repair, only replacement.

Back to your original statement: yes, the plugs only fire once, but it's not the ignitor that "fires" them.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

My question is what about the gap/resistance? Do you run the risk of burning your system out using these plugs? (Electrical is really not my strong suite)

Comment

electricity will take the path of least resistance..
              meaning only one of those prongs will produce a spark.. not all of 'em.
              B.S. in a bag.

Comment

Originally posted by Fjbj40 View Post

It must have a capacitor built in that stores the initial spark signal and then releases the stored energy at 2 different pulses. So the initial spark would be less energy than the original style plugs.
                I think the claim is that there will be three sparks occurring simultaneously but in three different directions; there is no energy storage claimed. With CDI you multiply the number of spark paths times the number of CDI sparks to get total flame fronts.

The benefit will depend largely on of poor the ignition and flame front is in the first place. The GS's and especially the TSCC 4V per cylinder engines are pretty good and probably benefit little.

I'll interject that I run the NGK Iridium plugs. The primary noticeable benefit is they seem to furn off faster if the flugs ever foul. This can occur if riding to high altitude.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Actually, NO, it doesn't.

To understand how the "ignitor" works, let's go back to the eariler systems that use points.

When the points are closed, electrical current flows from the battery, through the coil, through the points and back to the battery. The wire inside the coil is wrapped around an iron core, which sets up a magnetic field. When the points open, that magnetic field collapses, which induces an opposing current in the core. Since the circuit is open, it has nowhere to go, but there is another set of windings around the core that has over a thousand times as many windings and it will produce several tens of thousands of volts which are directed to the spark plugs.

The "ignitor" is only a set of transistors that replace the points. That's all. Nothing more. Nothing "magical". The "ignitor" does not "ignite" anything, it only interrupts current flow through the coil, just like the points. It's advantages are that they can handle more current (stronger magnetic field, bigger sparks), they can start current flow sooner to build up the magnetic field (points have to follow the cam back down to their closed position) and there are no moving parts to wear out or adjust. The disadvantage is that there is basically no repair, only replacement.

Back to your original statement: yes, the plugs only fire once, but it's not the ignitor that "fires" them.

OK, lets look at it another way. Maybe I should not have said the "igniter" fires the plugs. you are correct it does not. However, it interrupts the flow of electricity to the coils so it is not a continuous spark.Without the igniter the coil would not fire at its prescribed time. In that prescribed time, at the perfect moment, it is supposed to ignite the air fuel mixture. One spark one ignition moment. So you can look at it as the igniter is responsible for the firing of the coil. And you can look at it that the crank is responsible for telling the igniter what degree the position of the crankshaft is so the ignition fires at the designed prescribed moment. And the stator produces the current that the coils use to make the spark, bla bla bla.

Point is, the spark plug will fire only once per ignition cycle, not 3 times.
                  1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
                  1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

ok ngk standard forever!
                    Ciao dall'Italia!

GS1000G 1980

Comment

Reminds me of the old Spitfire Multi-spark HT leads (not sure if they are still available). It produced a series of 5 sparks per cycle and was said to improve all manner of things. I tried one on an ageing Audi Coupe I had at the time and though there was the slightest improvement it wasn't enough to convince me to use on any other vehicle i've owned since then.

As long as your standard issue plugs and leads are in good condition you're not going to notice any difference.
                      The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

Originally posted by waltergs1000 View Post
                        Hello everyone, some of you have ever tried this? your impressions?

Brisk premium multi-spark

http://www.briskracing.com/brisk-rac...ti-spark-plugs
                        Looks to me as if the spark is simply forced to jump across a series of conductive rings, thereby creating three surface sparks.
                        Smells like the old trick of drawing on coil reserve, to artificially increase the spark energy. How long the coil will last under the extra stress is anyone's guess, but the old trick worked well enough for long enough, but that was with older, bulkier coils and not today's pared-down to the nearest cent ones.
                        The really old trick was to use a shirt button in the HT conductor, and the spark was forced to jump across that, then the plug afterwards. The coil reserve was drawn on to make this work. That dates way, way back, probably to the Model T.
                        ---- Dave
                        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

view working with gsx 250, that makes a spark plug at a time, all around randomly, equivalent to all the others like you said!
                          Ciao dall'Italia!

GS1000G 1980

Comment

I'd have to try those .. but you will need an excellent available coil voltage to 'jump' 2 or 3 series gaps
                            Brisk, Spark plugs, racing spark plugs, iridium spark plugs, platinum spark plugs, silver spark plugs, lgs spark plugs, evo spark plugs, performance, plasma spark plugs, best spark plugs, NGK, ignition, auto spark plugs, turbo spark plugs, nitrous spark plugs, super charger spark plugs, surface discharge, multi spark

Spark "travels" from the center electrode to the edge of the first conductive ring, uses the ring as a conductor, jumps out from the other edge of the first ring intot he edge of the second conductive ring, uses it as a conductor, and then the spark discharge "jumps out" into the spark plug shell (ground) to complete the secondary ignition circuit."

Comment

Working...
                            X