Starter Motor Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter Motor Problems

Hey everyone, This could very well go in the clutch section since that’s what I tinkered with, but since it’s the electrical giving me a problem here we are...

Alright, so I have a 1981 GS550L that I have had for a number of years, gotten plenty of good help from the forum, and I'm back again.

I recently had to switch out my old shifter and clutch pushrod, doing this I had to take a majority of the parts out to get to the shifter rod. I put it all back together and back on the bike.
    Long story short the bike ended up sitting for a year and a half, after an unrelated car accident I had, left the carbs and tank dry since it was winter when I did all this work.

This last week I went back to start the bike up, fully charged battery, and nothing. The solenoid didn't click, I switched that out since, after testing it, I determined it was faulty (did the screwdriver bypass and resistance check). I even checked my electrical connections throughout the ignition circuits, cleaned up the grounds and contacts, replaced the ignition switch, I know none of that was wrong.

With the new solenoid back in, I went to start it back up, and the solenoid clicked, then buzzed so I know power is going through it. Now I’m pretty sure it’s something wrong with the starter motor. But I did take off the starter gear and the motor ran free without any problems.

Is it possible that within the year and a half of being out of commission and the resulting sudden starting would have caused a problem for both the starter motor and solenoid? or could it possibly be that I did something wrong when I put the clutch back together? The shifter doesn't change gear out of neutral, which it didn't do when the engine was off anyways, but on the gear indicator it still shows it’s in neutral and the wheel moves freely as if it is in neutral. Could something be stuck somewhere in my clutch and cause the problem? or should I start ripping apart the starter motor and checking the brushes?

After sitting for so long is it common for these things to go wrong? and in such succession?

"could it possibly be that I did something wrong when I put the clutch back together? The shifter doesn't change gear out of neutral, "

most likely.. The starter motor is probably innocent here, sounds like you erred in your repair, better review it , cuz it sounds like your motor can't turn over.
    update your signature to reflect your bike/model/year, so you won't have to every time that you post.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
    X