No announcement yet.

do i need to rebuild my diy ignitor??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The blue point r60b looks like a weller and it is rated at 60Watts. That should be plenty. I have been using more flux that I used to , I started on very small surface mount parts but find if in doubt the solder flows much better. You want to keep the tip clean with a coating of solder.

You do need to clean it as it is acidic, electronics cleaner will do. I have been using these rather than a wet sponge. Tends to not thermally shock the tip as much and you don't have to worry about having water to keep the sponge wet.

Comment

well i think i can rule in a bad dyna 3 ohm coil. since i'm waiting on another pair of dyna 3 ohms, i took the dyna 3 ohms off of the suzuki and put them on the kz and went for a spin. the kz was running better with the 40 pilots i had to install, but running like the suzuki was, lack luster on power, trying to stall out at idle, and tested the header temps after shutdown and found #1 to be cold. plug looked a little wet, so i tested spark, and no spark on #1 plug, same as when the coils were on the suzuki, only the bad coil is running 1 & 4. so one more set of coils and i should be good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
        . I have been using these rather than a wet sponge. Tends to not thermally shock the tip as much and you don't have to worry about having water to keep the sponge wet.

A brass pan scourer in a metal ashtray - excellent!
        ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
          A brass pan scourer in a metal ashtray - excellent!
          It works and saves on the soldering iron tips as well.

Comment

I use this one from Amazon, the bottom lid comes off to remove the little solder beads that eventually build up. One tip as mentioned in the reviews is to weight the bottom so it's more stable when you stab the tip into it. Works great, just tin the tip and poke in a few times to evenly coat it. Beats a wet sponge any day. Mine is a thin metal one although one of the questions answered state its plastic, but mine wasn't.

----------------------------------------------------------------
            2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Hell of alot better than spending $5 for this......................

Originally posted by mikerophone View Post
              I use this one from Amazon, the bottom lid comes off to remove the little solder beads that eventually build up. One tip as mentioned in the reviews is to weight the bottom so it's more stable when you stab the tip into it. Works great, just tin the tip and poke in a few times to evenly coat it. Beats a wet sponge any day. Mine is a thin metal one although one of the questions answered state its plastic, but mine wasn't.

Comment

I think I'll give that a go.
                I wondered if stainless steel pan cleaners would work, as they're more easily found (and I've got some) than brass ones.
                Turns out they do...
                Last edited by Grimly; 05-26-2015, 07:44 PM.
                ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Well as of right now with posplayr's sspb and a new set of dyna 3.0 ohms, i have spark on all 4 again. I think i chased my tail with taking the ignitor a part, since i was able to confirm a bad coil with my kz. So once i get my fault figured out, which is probably in the horn circuit since it's inop, i'll know for sure. I may fire it up and take it for a spin to see how it does either sometime during the week or next weekend just to see if she's back to normal.

Comment

Working...
                  X