Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stator, having only 2 of the 3 wiers connected to the RR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stator, having only 2 of the 3 wiers connected to the RR?

What is the result of such a situation?

Originally posted by c&c View Post
    What is the result of such a situation?
    Inadequate charging, especially if you use headlight. Are you asking this for a reason or just curiosity?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I have had to many electrical issues and has cost me lots of $$ and most importantly downtime
      So I'm now on a quest to fully understand the electrical system. I'm fed up of being ignorant on the subject.

My question stems from:
      I saw this video and noticed that at :40 when he starts turning the PMG it stutters. My motorcycle stutters through the all rev ranges and am wondering if the stator contributes to this.

Would having only 2 stator wires connected make the engine stutter?

Comment

Frank just updated the Stator Pages, perhaps you should start there.

That video has little to do with your bike.

When you ask questions you should be more specific. The first question is a clear example of how to NOT ask a question. You should have been more specific what wires you are talking about.

Comment

"My motorcycle stutters through the all rev ranges and am wondering if the stator contributes to this. "

Charge your battery up fully, disconnect stator and r/r from each other and harness and go for test ride- you got at least 1/2 hour of ride time to find the charging system guilty or innocent of your suspicions.
          afterwArds reconnect stuff ,recharge battery,and do the Quick test in this link....

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

If you look at the wiring diagram above you will see that originally only two phases were connected directly to the r/r. The third phase goes off on a long loop to the handlebar switch and comes back to the r/r. If you take Posplayrs advice you'll see that there are a number of improvements that could be made to this setup. By this time many machines have been upgraded with newer r/rs. Yours may not be and is giving the impression that one phase is disconnected.
            If one phase is cut or open circuit it will not contribute to charging and could result in low voltages to the coils which could be a cause of misfiring. There would also be an imbalance in the electrical and hence mechanical load on the flywheel but I cannot see this causing stutter through the rev range. At half power the crank is developing a hundred times what the generator output is so it's highly improbable that you could feel a generator imbalance.
            Much more likely is carburation or ignition or both.
            What work was done on the bike?
            97 R1100R
            Previous
            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Working...
            X