Turn Signal help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn Signal help needed

Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum but I've got a lot of awesome help here on my first 83' Gs850 I got a few months back. I want to apologize ahead of time if my question might be a repeat but I haven't found anything that could help me. Here it goes..
    I got a Gs850 that I'm fixing, it was missing the original turn signals so I got basic eBay led ones for front and back. I did not want to get resistors because of how hot they get. The leds stay lit bright with oem relay. I got a led flasher relay which didn't do anything but dim the leds. I read that some people have grounded the existing relay ground to chassis with worked but doing this made right side led blink with left and left with right. But normal non led bulbs work like they should . doing this also made the turn signal indicator bulb not work unless I jump it to the led. I've tried everything I read, and even got two other relays that did the same think. PLEASE HELP! I really don't want resistors unless it's in the relay. Thanks for reading my life story hope you guys can help!
    Last edited by Guest; 05-30-2015, 01:26 AM.

I would suggest making this all work on the bench so you convince yourself it all works. Use alligator clips or a little tape.

Hook up battery with 2 LED lights (parallel) and one flasher relay. Does that work?

Comment

Yes that does work.. It gets weird when it's connected into the harness and the switch is used

Comment

What flasher are you using 2 pin or 3 pin? If 3 pin what did you do with the third pin.

Comment

I'm using a 3 pin flasher relay, same as the oem. The pins are same as the oem on so I just leave them all plugged in

Comment

This flasher works. Tridon EP34 flasher .

You can read about TSCU issues which you will loose when you change the flasher. I have modified mine as per this link but do not have any more at the moment. It is possible to fix with a mechanical relay however.

Comment

I am using an ep34. When will you have the mod for sale again? And how would I use a mechanical relay? Is there a wiring diagram of how I'd wiring in a relay?

Comment

Originally posted by Sampb92 View Post
                I am using an ep34. When will you have the mod for sale again? And how would I use a mechanical relay? Is there a wiring diagram of how I'd wiring in a relay?
                Look at the bottom of the first page of the TCSU mod thread.

Comment

Ok I'll try it out Monday! What would cause the left blinker go off with right side and right with left?

Comment

Originally posted by Sampb92 View Post
                    Ok I'll try it out Monday! What would cause the left blinker go off with right side and right with left?
                    wires crossed

Comment

Ok i did everything and it works fine but there's one problem.. It might be in the wiring but here's what I go. Leds work, and blink like they're supposed to but only with the turn signal indicator bulb out. If it's in, it shorts out and all the Leds blink like 4 ways no matter if right or left switch is on. The moment I pull the bulb out, it's back to normal. I don't necessarily care about it but it's definitely a feature I'd like.. Any ideas? Oh and I did everything you said except the relay, I just grounded the black and blue wire.

Comment

If you have a single indicator lamp, then there are usually two diodes in the circuit to take either the left or the right and power the indicator bulb. The diodes point from either blinker side to the indicator bulb; in other words current cannot flow from one side to the other. Do you alter these diodes?

You should be able to use a VOM to check that they are there. Current flows from red to black.

It appears as if your diodes are not installed.

Comment

It's a single bulb. I'm not by the bike now but if it is a diode, that would make sense. Where is it located? Do you by chance have a wiring diagram for a 83' Gs850? The have them for the 80 online but there are a few differences. Thanks

Comment

No 8v.........

Comment

Where are the diodes located

Comment

Working...
                              X