Ignition guru advice needed- coils and wires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition guru advice needed- coils and wires

I'm resuming work on my fuel injection project and after checking the coils and wires with an ohm meter, one was well out of spec. I now plan to replace both coils and the plug wires.

Doing a bit of reading, the Accel supercoils (140403, 3 ohm) look to be a popular mod and I found a pair locally for a good price. The main headache looks to be the mounting, but since it has been done by others I can do it as well.

Here's my questions regarding them:
    1. Do I reuse the OEM plug caps with this coil? Since one also spec'd far different (would not give a consistent reading) than the others (8K, 10K, 10K) I'm going to replace them as well since they are like $3 each. I want to reduce any EM/RF interference since I'm using a Microsquirt.

2. The NGK caps look to be sized for a 7mm wire. The Accel wires are 8.8mm. Any thoughts on a quality 7mm wire? Copper core? Suppression?

3. The OEM plug caps look to have been 10K. I see NGK domedstically only sells 5K caps. They also sell BR8ES plugs rated at 5K. Would this be a good combo?

The Microsquirt uses a hand made ignition module capable of passing up to 16 amps of current per coil. I have not found an ohm rating specification for using the Microsquirt, so I'm presuming the OEM 3 ohm unit would work.

Good quality copper core wire will do fine if you're fitting it with resistor caps. You don't need resistor plugs with resistor caps - one or the other will do.
    ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
    X