Dyna S: Only one coil is sending spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyna S: Only one coil is sending spark

Hey guys, I've tried everything I can think of and can't come to a solution to this problem so I'm hoping you'll be of more assistance.

Bike is a 1981 GS550LX. I just replaced my entire ignition system: Dyna S ignition with Dyna Green 3 ohm coils, new HT leads and new plugs. Wired up the new ignition and I'm getting plugs 2 and 3 to fire, but nothing from plugs 1 and 4. I ran through the ignition test on bikecliff's website and am getting equivalent results on both coils. Resistance between both HT leads is the same, resistance between + and - of coil is the same, voltage between + of coil and ground from battery is the same. Both coils are hot after trying to start the bike. Why are both coils acting the same, but only one is sending signals to fire the plugs? I could really use some help with this, I appreciate any assistance you guys can provide.

Tyler

Did you do static timing to verify Dyna is sending signal? I just installed new Dyna and also not getting 1&4 to spark. Called Dyna Tek and they want me to send it back...

Comment

Originally posted by phanham View Post
      Did you do static timing to verify Dyna is sending signal? I just installed new Dyna and also not getting 1&4 to spark. Called Dyna Tek and they want me to send it back...
      Timing shouldn't matter since I'm just trying to get the plugs to spark. I'm doing these tests when the plugs are removed and grounded to the engine for now. I'm going to try switching the coils and see if I can get 1&4 to fire that way.

Comment

So I switched the wires to the coils and tested them. All four spark plugs fired. I have no idea why, but they all fired. I'll go back and test them again later, but for now I have the ignition working. So I'll move on to a static timing.

Comment

Working...
        X