How to Install Ignition Coil Properly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to Install Ignition Coil Properly

Hello everyone! Another resident newbie question for you all. I purchased an ignition coil online and either I'm doing something wrong, or they sent me a bad coil. (I would be willing to bet it's something I've done wrong....) So the coil I got is a little different from my other coil because it has 2 ports and it's just a universal coil whereas my other one is a stock coil that came with the bike. Because there is only one plug wire that needs to run from it, I plugged the 2nd port because as far as I know it doesn't need to be used. The problem is, I'm getting no reading from the new coil at all, while the stock coil is still working just fine. Is the other port supposed to be used for something? Or is the coil possibly not compatible? A picture of the coil is posted below. Thanks in advance for the help! And if you need more information just let me know! I'll tell you all that I can!

I am confused what port are you speaking of.
    P.s welcome to the site

Comment

That coil requires having TWO spark plugs connected to work properly.

You have the wrong coil. The coil you need will have only one "port".

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I just don't know what else to call them. It's the 2 cap looking things on the left side of the picture. Where the plug wire goes in.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          That coil requires having TWO spark plugs connected to work properly.

You have the wrong coil. The coil you need will have only one "port".

Okay that was one of the things I was thinking, but on that note. Would the one coil be enough? Like could I hook both of my plug wires into it? or is that even possible?

Comment

You guys are lucky I didn't ask the question because I would have called them 'the two thingies'.

I'm thinking probably not on hooking both plug leads to one coil. If your bike has two single coils it's probably so that they both send juice at different times. A single coil with two thingies won't do that, they send at the same time.
            "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post
              You guys are lucky I didn't ask the question because I would have called them 'the two thingies'.

I'm thinking probably not on hooking both plug leads to one coil. If your bike has two single coils it's probably so that they both send juice at different times. A single coil with two thingies won't do that, they send at the same time.
              ugh..... that's what I was afraid of..... I told the guy the exact bike and he acted like he knew there were 2 coils. He said this one would work, awesome.....

Comment

Originally posted by remiller88 View Post
                Okay that was one of the things I was thinking, but on that note. Would the one coil be enough? Like could I hook both of my plug wires into it? or is that even possible?
                No, you need to have two coils, each one of them needs to have one "port" for one spark plug wire.

If the parts monkey tries to sell you something else, just get online and order the proper item, like the rest of us do.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  No, you need to have two coils, each one of them needs to have one "port" for one spark plug wire.

If the parts monkey tries to sell you something else, just get online and order the proper item, like the rest of us do.

Will do Steve! Thanks for the help! And thank you everyone else for putting up with me as well!

Comment

Originally posted by remiller88 View Post
                    Will do Steve! Thanks for the help! And thank you everyone else for putting up with me as well!
                    In turn, we need to thank YOU, as well.

You never mentioned your bike in your question, but it was listed in your signature.

THAT is why we suggest having a sig that mentions your bike.

It's nice that you have your location in your profile, too.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                    X