Bit off more than I can chew - Wiring Harness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jdonovan26 View Post
    What if I'm not planning on running the stock cluster? Just a speedo with warning lights
    If you are going to hack up the harness then almost anything will work. If you put a schematic of the two harnesses side by side and start numbering the ones that are likely the same you should be better idea than I can ever answer given I have no idea what you really plan. If it looks close enough for what you plan to use, then go for it.

You can always buy replacement connector shells for most of the connectors and cleaning and replacing connector ends will get you a long way to restoring the harness whether you replace or refurb the existing.

Comment

(You can always buy replacement connector shells for most of the connectors and cleaning and replacing connector ends will get you a long way to restoring the harness whether you replace or refurb the existing.) Can you recomend a vendor for the connectors that are usually used on the GS/Jap motorcycle electrics?

Comment

Try Z1 Enterprises. They have a listing of the color coded wiring and connectors.

Comment

You can also try Cycle-Re-Cycle and Vintage Connections.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I will only chime in to say take your time, its not as hard as it seems if you take one step at a time and realize you may have to take one step forward and two back once in a while…patience is the key
            Also Im stealing your previous post, don't know where your got it from but its spot on!

"Don't rely too much on people. They often find something better to do."

Comment

Originally posted by Joe H View Post
              I will only chime in to say take your time, its not as hard as it seems if you take one step at a time and realize you may have to take one step forward and two back once in a while…patience is the key

That works with so much in life.
              Patience including letting it be when frustrated to come back later when relaxed.

Comment

So the good new is that I found a stock 1980 gs1100e wiring harness. I'll take the 82 I got previously and place it back on the eBays where it's belongs to hopefully help a fellow rider. I'll likely sell the one that came with my machine if I don't have to take any connectors off. The bad news? Don't really have any. The project continues, now with patience and no time limits or projected completion dates. Easy going and enjoying the build.

Comment

Working...
                X