clutch to start my 1980 GS1000G, even in neutral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch to start my 1980 GS1000G, even in neutral

you have to pull in on the clutch to start my 1980 GS1000G, even in neutral, is this normal, or is the switch on the kick stand possibly bad?

Originally posted by shameless View Post
    you have to pull in on the clutch to start my 1980 GS1000G, even in neutral, is this normal, or is the switch on the kick stand possibly bad?
    Yes, that's how they are designed. It's a clutch safety interlock. There is a switch in the clutch lever. If you would like to bypass it, trace the wires from your clutch lever into the headlight bucket. Disconnect them from the harness, then plug the 2 harness wires together. I believe they are yellow wires. You will no longer need to pull the clutch to start it. Just remember to have the bike in neutral or have the clutch pulled, or it will lurch forward when you hit the start button!
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9zH8w8Civs8ejBJWjdvYi1LNTg&resourcekey=0-hlJp0Yc4K_VN9g7Jyy4KQg&authuser=fussbucket_1%40msn.com&usp=drive_fs
    1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

ok, cause on my Katana, it'll start in neutral regardless, but won't start in gear without the kickstand up, but will roll over without the clutch pulled in if the kickstand is up. So no biggie I guess, its just going to be a pain to start the thing, operate the choke, and clutch at the same time

Comment

On the GS the ONLY thing the switch on the kickstand does is turn on the light on the instrument panel.

You can start the bike in neutral with the kick stand UP or DOWN.

You can start the bike in gear with the kick stand UP or DOWN.

Yoiu can put the bike into gear with the kick stand DOWN, the bike continues to run.

Get the idea?

Jsandidge gave the steps to bypass the clutch "safety" switch. It is possible to do it in less than three minutes, once you have a Phillips screwdriver in-hand and are standing in front of the bike.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by shameless View Post
          ok, cause on my Katana, it'll start in neutral regardless, but won't start in gear without the kickstand up, but will roll over without the clutch pulled in if the kickstand is up. So no biggie I guess, its just going to be a pain to start the thing, operate the choke, and clutch at the same time
          If choke will not stay up, there is a friction adjustment on the collar there.

Yah, like others said:
          Clutch switch is in series with the starter button, and that is all. Don't need no stinking logic.
          Sidestand switch lights the light on instrument panel, and that is all.

And on a somewhat related subject; the oil pressure switch operates the oil light AND the sidestand light.

http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
          Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Working...
          X